JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
This will be my story of needed something to do!

My first modification was the 67-112 I bought off Ebay.

Copy of GARDEN TRACTORS 060.jpg


The engine was an HH100 Tecumseh, but not correct as the crankshaft was not the right size for jd. So I decided to make some modifications to my liking. First came the narrow wheels & tires, I found a pair of narrow 12" & used lug tires on them for the rear. For the front, wheelbarrow wheels & hay tedder tires. The headlights were 12V sealed beams I'd had for work lights on a previous pickup. Muffler was from a Cub Farmall, front weights were some pieces of 1" x 3" stock I'd gotten on the rear of the 65-110 I had.

GARDEN TRACTORS 141.jpg


Next came a swinging drawbar & 3-pt hitch:

GARDEN TRACTORS 367 (Small).jpg


This tractor was later sold to a friend who made a mini-B out of it:

HPIM0811.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Latest of my modifieds was the 70 I (Industrial). It started as an idea I had for what a John Deere Industrial lawn tractor might look like. I ran an ad on CL for a non-running 60, 70 or 100 lawn tractor, within an hour, I had four calls. Ended up with the 1 & 1/2 tractors pictured:

HPIM2267 - Copy.JPG


Later, I sold the complete one for what I paid for both!

The 1/2 tractor was what I wanted for the project:

HPIM2271 (Custom).JPG


I took it down to the bare frame:

HPIM2280.JPG


It took some frame trimming to fit the 12-1/2 HP Briggs from an old MTD "Yardman" mower to fit & I welded the engine mounting plate from the MTD into the 70 frame:

HPIM2285.JPG


HPIM2286.JPG


The front "grille plate" had to have a hole cut (with hole saw) to fit the spark plug:

HPIM2287.JPG


HPIM2293.JPG


Outer grille made from expanded metal:

HPIM2298.JPG


Paint is jd "Old Construction Yellow" Front tires are "saw tooth" style, rears are as close as I could find to "R4's" in an 8" tire.

HPIM2300.JPG


Footrests came from the MTD:

HPIM2305.JPG


Front bumper fits the "attachment bracket", wheel weights are "barbell" weights:

HPIM2312.JPG


The toolbox was made from a pattern I found for the original (optional) box for the 60's/70's:

HPIM2316.JPG

HPIM2339.JPG



Found a jd front blade I could adapt to fit:

HPIM2329.JPG


Had to modify the lift linkage to clear the 12-1/2 HP engine:

HPIM2330.JPG


Used a low-back black seat to match the tractor, makes a very handy tractor for towing:

HPIM2673.JPG


HPIM2751.JPG
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top