• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

What kind of work did you do "to" your tractor today?

Discussion in 'The Toolbox' started by johndeereelfman, Jul 2, 2016.

1. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Here's a place to tell us what repairs or preventative maintenance you did to your tractor today. Can be anything from fixing a head gasket, repairing a leaky tire, changing a belt, or just a simple oil change. Whatever it was that had you wrenching today, can be posted here for all of us to see and hear about. 

2 people like this.
  2. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Well thought I'd spend a little time with the dog today. It had a leaky axle seal for the second time so I replaces the seal and axle tube from a spare rear. Then decided to put an old set of wheels and tires that I had laying around in the parts section. Sort of fills out the wheel wells nicely. Now to tear out the starter generator and install a new voltage regulator as it's always had a problem charging. May even consider mounting the tiller to this one as I'm tired of it sitting in the garage.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
    3 people like this.

3. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    Couldn't wait so I threw the tiller on. Got it mocked up looks like I'll need another day to get the pto back on and mount the rear lift parts. Think I'm gonna like it. Looks like no plowing snow for the Dog this year.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4 people like this.
  4. johndeereelfman

Holy cow Kyle! Nothing like using a cannon to shoot a pheasant!   :D

The '67 looks good buddy, although you really need to change out that seat pan sometime soon. 

2 people like this.
  5. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    See that's the exact reason it's on there!!!! It's a conversation piece ,it's different and makes it mine. If I'd ever restore that one I'd put it back on and also take the bike shock off I put on the seat too.

2 people like this.
  6. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    Removed the starter/generator and will swap with 67 JD112 that is rebuilt and shun to the shed. Need to pick up new voltage regulator and put it all back together again.

Then to put the PTO back together and line the pulleys up

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3 people like this.
  7. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Not today but a couple days ago I tore the 212 down to clean an repair the prior mess. An found a couple odd things once it was tore down.

20160706_210939.jpg 20160706_210955.jpg 20160706_211009.jpg

3 people like this.
  8. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    Looks like the parts list will be growing a bit. When you get it done send it to me and I will see what I can help you with.

3 people like this.
  9. backwoods

I still need to go through my parts drawer to see what i have an dont have but its been way to hot in the garage to really do much work out there.

3 people like this.
  10. backwoods

I found two items last night!!!

20160707_210805.jpg 20160707_210749.jpg

3 people like this.
  11. backwoods

Attached the wire to the points so it had spark so I could plow the driveway tonight after checking an cushioning parts i found the problem.

johndeereelfman, Kster526 and truck21 like this.
  12. backwoods

In normal fashion with my 212 I broke it plowing snow.

johndeereelfman, Kster526 and truck21 like this.
  13. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    Well I dug out the 1967 RF 112 with the Tecumseh engine that just continually keeps me guessing and spending money on it.
    Funny how you charge the battery up and they start right up, but it showed why I pushed it into the shed after running a few minutes it started acting up and shut off.So again tore apart the carb and went thru it but that didn't work, reset the points and installed a new coil and condenser now I'm 0-3 on this try. So you see why it was pushed into the shed it's the most frustrating one I've ever worked on. So after visiting KAJD23's place of employment and seeking guidance I tore the shroud off and started back at the beginning resetting and reseating the valves and there clearances. Tore the carb apart further and threw that in parts cleaner also. Hopefully these things will bring it back. So that was today's version of what I did to my tractor even though it was frustrating but it was still quiet time in the cave.

14. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    I have never had any luck with Tecumseh's. The only one that ever worked half way good was on a brand new snowblower.

15. johndeereelfman

Kyle, check the points push rod and see if it's the fiberglass type. If so, change it out for a new one. I'm willing to bet the old fiberglass rod is worn and frayed, soaking up oil which will cause it to swell, and isn't sliding in and out like it should be, which will cause your engine to run fine for a couple of minutes, start sputtering, then eventually shut off. Let us know your results or findings.

Just so you know, I have used a 16 penny common nail, cut to the length of the original push rod length, filed the ends so they were slightly rounded, and haven't had any issues at all. Just throwing that out there for you, as I don't think push rods are available anymore through Deere or Tecumseh.

backwoods, Kster526 and truck21 like this.
  16. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    That rod has also been replaced already with a brass rod. I had to the old plastic one broke. Seems to work ok I've checked it's looseness after it shut off in the last fight with the HH100. Thinking about measuring it to see how long it is but first need a correct length on that if anyone would know.
    This tractor is the reason I bought Gregs engine. I'm thinking about a transplant but with all the money and effort put into it already just wanted to try again.
    Thanks for the suggestions I'm open to any and all at this point and like you said Don this will be my only Tecumseh engined tractor purchase.

17. johndeereelfman

Spark plug isn't stripped in the head is it?

Maybe you and I need to make a swap. I trade you a '67 110 for your '67 112, even up, then you won't ever have to worry about getting the 112 running smoothly again!

backwoods, Kster526 and truck21 like this.
  18. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    Yes the spark plug is good in the head.
    Not sure if I'm ready to trade it away yet
    even as frustrated as it makes me.
    You'll be the first to know if decide to trade it away although I'm not sure I need another 67 RF 110 but I love that air compressor. LOL..........

johndeereelfman and truck21 like this.
  19. backwoods

Just put the kohler in an save the frustrations an headache lol. I've never owned a Tecumseh that was worth anymore than scrap but that is mpo.

Kster526, truck21 and johndeereelfman like this.
  20. johndeereelfman

Ah, no Kyle. The air compressor isn't part of the negotiation or offer. :p I'm not sure why you guys hate Tecumseh's so much. I'd rather work on them then Kohler's.

Kster526 and truck21 like this.