• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

What is your most used tool in your toolbox?

Discussion in 'The Toolbox' started by -GR-, Aug 30, 2014.

1. -GR-

-GR- Where am I? Staff Member

Does anyone have a most used tool or favorite tool in their toolbox? I would have to say mine would be a flat head screwdriver. Always seem to be using one to either adjust carbs or pry stuff open.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    Mine would have to be my leatherman supertool. I have been surprised how often in one day I reach for it. I miss it if I don`t put it on my belt in the morning.

Don

3 people like this.

3. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Although I use the wire wheel grinder the most, I'd say my absolute best tool that I use would be my head lamp. It's so nice having this little light right where you need it, and not having to use one of your hands to hold a flashlight. I have one that uses a band to hold the light to my head, and another one that clips to the brim of my hat. With the LED bulds, they light up the area well and last for a long time.

3 people like this.
  4. BigFlash

BigFlash New Member

I do full time mechanic work, and i number one tool i have is my Mini Led Maglite. If i'm not using it, its in my pocket. The guys i work with have picked up on that fact to. You be surprised the number of times i hear "do you have your flash on you?" in a week

4 people like this.
  5. ckjakline

ckjakline Well-Known Member

I Would have to say my most used tool is my 3/8 ratchet.There are so many adapters you can put on it.Swivels,torxs bits,allen sockets, Phillips,and flat head sockts,extensions.I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

3 people like this.
  6. olddude

olddude New Member

There are a lot of tools I couldn't live without especially when working on my John Deere 140 but I gotta admit that the adjustable wrench is one of the best inventions. I know some of you can just look at a nut or bolt and know exactly what size it is but someone like me it is hard to guess and the adjustable eliminates multiple trips to the toolbox for me.

3 people like this.
  7. Sorry guys I guess I have gotten soft but I love my battery impact makes a slow job fast most of the time

3 people like this.
  8. Lgtpower

Lgtpower New Member

This might sound simple and may not qualify as a tool, but I know I'd be lost if I didn't have a shop rag stuck in my back pocket while working in the garage.

4 people like this.
  9. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    My glasses. Not sure what happened but as the years creep up my eyes keep getting a little worse. Funny I used to laugh at my dad when his arms were not long enough to focus correctly. 

Air tools would be right up there too. They make life a hole lot easier.

4 people like this.
  10. johndeereelfman

I understand the glasses Kyle. Most likely going bad due to the time we spend on here! Dang computers. 

4 people like this.
  11. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    My new favorite tool is my power probe, this thing is so nice for so many electrical issues. And electrical issues are the worst.

Don

4 people like this.
  12. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Agreed on that !!!!!

4 people like this.
  13. johndeereelfman

I just saw that either Snap-On tools or Mac-Tools just brought out a finger tip magnetic holder. It's made of rubber, looks like on of the fingers from a glove, but on the end of the finger tip, is a small magnetic that helps to pick up small screws or such in tight places. Might have to invest in one or two of them, as soon as I can find them. 

4 people like this.
  14. It's not a tool, but it sure is a time savor. A plain old white sheet! I lay it down on the ground when working on a tractor, so if I happen to drop a bolt, washer or nut, it's easier to find. Especially if I'm working on a tractor in the backyard. 

2 people like this.