• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

Trailers for moving garden tractors

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PA212, Jan 2, 2021.

1. PA212

PA212 Member

So moving my 212 to the inlaws last storm to plow them out was an adventure to say the least. Issues that I’ve identified so far:
    1. Ramps are to short (4 ft) so the plow hit the ramps when I tried to drive on, or hit the ground if I tried to back on.
    2. Ramps (2x12 pressure treated) are too slippery for the tire chains to grip.
    3. Deck is narrow 47” (+/-) between the boards.
    4. Trailer is similar to a HF folding trailer, but a different brand so it certainly isn’t overbuilt.
    5. Limited tie down points.
    6. No good point to hook a block and tackle to (solution for slippery ramps).

So my wife suggested I needed to get a bigger trailer! Started looking on CL and FBMP but not seeing much on the used side. Ramp gates all appear to be 4 ft long, which seems as if I would have the same problem I have with my current setup...

What do you all have? What do you like/dislike about your current setup? What would you setup differently on your next one?

Dave

Kster526 likes this.
  2. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    I have 7x16 enclosed but it’s also my portable shed. It’s a 10,000 gvw and is almost to much for what I need
    . I love the enclosed just would buy a unit not rated so heavy . But it helps with not a lot of storage space

PA212 likes this.

3. PA212

PA212 Member

One of my challenges is that it has to fit in the garage as my wife “doesn’t want to look at it”. That’s how I ended up with the one I have now - I can fold it in half and it stands up on end on dolly wheels so I can tuck it in the corner and still fit all the other stuff in the garage. She said I could get a trailer as long as I could fit in the garage... Enclosed would be nice, but the garage doors are too low...

Kster526 likes this.
  4. I have a 6 foot by 12 foot and my 318/44 loader fits without a lot of extra room. I store some of my equipment in here like trimmer,blower,etc..

Kster526 and PA212 like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Member

I use my dad's 20' car tilt deck trailer, and i have a set of 5 1/2' ramps with them I can put a tractor in his truck fine.

I would get a 18' over axle flat bed so I could load them from the side.

Kster526 and PA212 like this.
  6. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

i have a 7x12 from tsc an love it its now almost 5 years old an the only thing i changed was i upgraded to led lights an removed the side gate it hauls my 300 with the blade an tiller just fine , down fall sometimes i have to park with my truck on an angle to load as the tiller will drag

Kster526 and Chaser like this.