JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend and JD Historian Deluxe, whom we shall call Mr. Willie related this story to me. Mr. Willie worked at the local JD dealer in the 80's. The dealership had in stock a R72 rider that would not sell. No one wanted it. After many months of sitting on the floor, the dealership owner whom we will call Mr.Hudson, stated that the insurance coverage had only a $100 deductible for theft. He therefore directed to leave the little rider outside at night in hope that it would be stolen. It sat outside for a month, so Mr.Hudson then directed to leave the key in the switch. The little rider remained untouched. The elements were taking toll on it, so it was moved inside and stored with the bigger tractors that were still crated up.  A break in occurred in which the crated tractors were stolen, but the little rider sitting right beside them once more remained untouched. Mr.Hudson had children in school at the time, and had received notice that the PTA was seeking donations for items to raffle off for fundraising. Mr. Hudson said it would make him look good to donate the R72 to the raffle, and this he did. The raffle drawing was held and the little rider finally had a home. The very day after the drawing was held, the new owner brought the little rider back to the dealership wanting to trade it in on a bigger tractor. Mr. Willie said after some quick thinking by Mr. Hudson, the owner was told that he would take such a big loss on trading it in, that it wouldn't be worthwhile for either party. The owner left to the relief of Mr. Hudson, Mr Willie, and the entire dealership's personnel.   This IS a true story.    J.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
And is this whom you rescued it from? Good story and as always a happy ending. I think between you and Troy  you could write a great children's novel featuring this little lost soul of a tractor that has finally come home to be treasured.

So what are the future plans for this newest member of the herd?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be a long shot if it was the same machine.  This one was a little over 90 miles away from Washington where the saga took place.  Although it could be the same one in the realm of possibility, but we will never know for sure. The plan is to touch it up a little, leave it as a survivor, and enter it into the fold.  I may even let the wife drive it !   J.

·
Administrator
907 Posts
You going to look for a set of hubcaps for it? Would look pretty snazzy if you did! 

·
Administrator
907 Posts
Didn't even realize there was a light kit for these machines!  :(

·
Administrator
907 Posts
Ah, I see. I must say, I like your thinking!!!  ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts