JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m new to the forum but have read many threads and I’m impressed with the knowledge of some members. I recently purchased a home in Florida with a little land, 3.5 acres. It’s all flat except a couple of bumps, I wouldn’t call them hills. I want to purchase a riding John Deere to mow the grass. I don’t want to buy new, so I need advice on which model would be best for my yard; which deck size, the better motors, the pitfalls, etc. I want to believe in John Deere and be a long time owner. I love the older body JD, like the 1964 110, but I’m not sure about an 8hp motor and how much trouble and maintenance an older tractor needs. Could use your help! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
As much as I love my JD”s and my 64 round fender but if your cutting that much it’ll take forever. Hydro static or zero turn for that much land would be my choice as snow will not be an issue so a tractor mounted plow or blower wouldn’t need to be a consideration. Again it’s all preference but I’d stay away from big box store units there only going to last 3-5 years if that long.
Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as I love my JD”s and my 64 round fender but if your cutting that much it’ll take forever. Hydro static or zero turn for that much land would be my choice as snow will not be an issue so a tractor mounted plow or blower wouldn’t need to be a consideration. Again it’s all preference but I’d stay away from big box store units there only going to last 3-5 years if that long.
Good luck in your quest.
Thanks for the advise! Someone told me to look for an X series, maybe a used one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts