JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad bought a 1950 John Deere MT farm tractor many years ago but only recently started restoring it. Well needless to say he removed the serial number tag and gave it to me to restore while he worked on the tractor. I put it to the way side thinking it will be awhile until he'll be ready for it as my Dad doesn't always stay focused and eventually loses interest when it comes to finishing projects.

Well the time has come that he's ready for the tag as he finished the tractor about a week and a half ago. So I thought I'd post pictures of my progress although I'm not quite finished.

Before:

Stripped:

Repainted:

Progress so far:

I'll post a final picture of the tag once I'm done with it. I'll also post a couple of pictures of the tractor at a later date when we have the next tractor show.

Registered
My Dad bought a 1951 John Deere MT farm tractor many years ago but only recently started restoring it. Well needless to say he removed the serial number tag and gave it to me to restore while he worked on the tractor. I put it to the way side thinking it will be awhile until he'll be ready for it as my Dad doesn't always stay focused and eventually loses interest when it comes to finishing projects.

Well the time has come that he's ready for the tag as he finished the tractor about a week and a half ago. So I thought I'd post pictures of my progress although I'm not quite finished.

Before:
View attachment 11450

Stripped:
View attachment 11451

Repainted:
View attachment 11452

Progress so far:
View attachment 11453

I'll post a final picture of the tag once I'm done with it. I'll also post a couple of pictures of the tractor at a later date when we have the next tractor show.
Great Work on the serial number tag restoration! What a HUGE difference in the before and after. Great to see the photos of the steps involved. It's already looking great and we'll all love to see the final detail photos. Thanks much.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done with the lettering and cleaned it up the best I could. The aluminum on these farm tractor tags don't seem to polish up as nice as the aluminum used for the lawn and garden tags, but he'll be pleased with it nonetheless.

Now to finish up Don's remaining tag so I can get them all returned to him.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think this remaining tag for Don will be the last one I do. It's not as enjoyable as it used to be due to the eyesight not being like it was when I first started restoring them. If I do do more, they'll be just my own tags for my collection. 馃槖

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work! I鈥檓 not familiar with these tags. What is the process for each step? Do they have raised letters that you sand the fresh paint off of after it dries? Inquiring minds want to know...
Yes, that's all it is. Strip, polish, paint, and scrape.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As promised, here's pictures of the tractor.

He still has the front weight to paint and mount yet, along with getting the single bottom plow sandblasted, painted, and mounted.

Registered
1 - 12 of 12 Posts