JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing to remove a very large bush from the back corner of our property, I brought in the small backhoe. My wife was snapping progress pictures all day however she failed to snap a picture of the bush before I started digging. In the background of the first picture, you can see the size of the bush that needed removed.

After pruning all of the limbs down to the base of the trunk, I started digging.

Finally After 4-1/2 hours of digging roughly two feet deep all the way around the base, the roots finally broke loose. Almost felt like I was digging out for a swimming pool.

And then the back filling and raking.

Started working at 6:30 am and finished at 7:30 pm. Long day, but at least it's gone and we won't have the dirt anymore. Now onto the next project. 😒

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got excited figuring you had some rare RF backhoe!:ROFLMAO:

It’s crazy the grip that roots get. Reminds me of a small maple tree that started growing along the edge of my strawberry bed in my garden. I let it go for about a year and a half with the initial intention of transplanting it. After deciding to just rip it out, I wrapped a chain around it and hooked it to the 112 to no avail. No worries, hooked the chain to my 2500HD... well that just left 4 small holes. So out came the shovel. That thing had roots that spanned over a 12’ radius!

·
Administrator
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The base root on this bush was at least 3-1/2" in diameter. Gave the little hoe a workout but I eventually prevailed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Needing to remove a very large bush from the back corner of our property, I brought in the small backhoe. My wife was snapping progress pictures all day however she failed to snap a picture of the bush before I started digging. In the background of the first picture, you can see the size of the bush that needed removed.

View attachment 11881

After pruning all of the limbs down to the base of the trunk, I started digging.

View attachment 11882

View attachment 11883

View attachment 11884

Finally After 4-1/2 hours of digging roughly two feet deep all the way around the base, the roots finally broke loose. Almost felt like I was digging out for a swimming pool.

View attachment 11885

View attachment 11887

View attachment 11886

And then the back filling and raking.

View attachment 11888

View attachment 11889

Started working at 6:30 am and finished at 7:30 pm. Long day, but at least it's gone and we won't have the dirt anymore. Now onto the next project. 😒
Sure great to have the right equipment when you need it, saved a lot of back breaking work no doubt and getting the seat time was I'm sure way more fun. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts