JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we recently got a sandblaster from harbor freight. we are going to be sandblasting our john deere MT . I have never sandblasted wondering what psi to blast at we are using glass bead. and is there anything else to be concerned about? cna you reuse the beads more than once if sifted?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You want around 120-150 psi for sandblasting. As long as the glass beads have been sifted and don't have any moisture it should be fine to reuse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi we recently got a sandblaster from harbor freight. we are going to be sandblasting our john deere MT . I have never sandblasted wondering what psi to blast at we are using glass bead. and is there anything else to be concerned about? cna you reuse the beads more than once if sifted?
You can definitely reuse glass beads again after sifting or rescreening and the beads are good and dry as you've been advised. There are several other important points to also remember when glass bead or sand blasting to avoid problems later on. First be sure all parts that you're blasting are thoroughly degreased beforehand. Blasting disassembled engine parts is ok but avoid blasting internal parts such as connecting rods or bushings which can get imbedded with glass beads. Once glass bead material is imbedded in parts such as these it's almost impossible to get completely out and will cause premature wear. Be Absolutely Certain to thoroughly clean engine parts of any bead material before re assembly. The importance of this cannot be stressed enough. Blowing out thoroughly with air and pressure washing afterward is important. Avoid blasting any other parts that have bearings unless the bearings have been removed or you are certain that they have been very securely sealed off. The cofounder of the manufacturer of my industrial blast unit recommended not using higher than 50 p.s.i. when blasting with glass beads stating that pressures too much higher than this rapidly breaks glass bead material down due to bead fracture. I've used higher pressure than 50 p.s.i. when necessary but prolonged use of higher p.s.i. does seem to wear out bead material faster but overall, bead material should last you a long time. I'm sure by following good cleaning guidelines and good common sense you'll avoid any problems down the road and achieve good results with your sand blaster. Good luck on your MT project and send us photos as you go along. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts