JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 JD 112 with a Tecumseh SBH 172A engine that I can not find all the parts to rebuild it with. I would like to replace it with a new engine so we can pull our barrel train at our Pumpkin patch at our farm. What is the best engine to replace the SBH 172A with?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The options are limited. Not many engines fit under the hood. The easiest choices are sticking with the Tecumseh HH100 or the Kohler K181 that would’ve been in the 110’s. However if you search for another HH100 bear in mind some of them that came in Sears tractors of the era had a larger base that won’t fit in the round fender frame.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I THINK IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT. IF YOU FIND A K181 ITS AN EASY SWAP AND THE 8 HORSE WILL EASILY PULL A TRAILER AROUND. THERE ARE PARTS OUT THERE NOT SURE WHAT ITEMS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, EBAY,LOCAL MOTHER DEERE DEALER. AN OLDER DEALER MAY HAVE SOME PARTS ON THE SHELF PROBLEM IS THE NEW PARTS GUYS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE OLD GIRLS IF THEY CANNOT FIND IT ON THE COMPUTER.
I WOULD KEEP THE ENGINE AND PUT IT IN THE CORNER UNTIL PARTS CAN BE FOUND OR FIND A DONOR TRACTOR THEY ARE OUT THERE JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. LOCAL PLACES ARE AN EASY ARE TO SCORE THESE TYPES OF THINGS. CRAIGLIST?
I'M VERY LUCKY I HAVE A LOCAL DEALER THAT IS A BIG HELP WHEN I
HAVE APROBLEM WITH THESE THINGS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I THINK IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT. IF YOU FIND A K181 ITS AN EASY SWAP AND THE 8 HORSE WILL EASILY PULL A TRAILER AROUND. THERE ARE PARTS OUT THERE NOT SURE WHAT ITEMS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, EBAY,LOCAL MOTHER DEERE DEALER. AN OLDER DEALER MAY HAVE SOME PARTS ON THE SHELF PROBLEM IS THE NEW PARTS GUYS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE OLD GIRLS IF THEY CANNOT FIND IT ON THE COMPUTER.
I WOULD KEEP THE ENGINE AND PUT IT IN THE CORNER UNTIL PARTS CAN BE FOUND OR FIND A DONOR TRACTOR THEY ARE OUT THERE JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. LOCAL PLACES ARE AN EASY ARE TO SCORE THESE TYPES OF THINGS. CRAIGLIST?
I'M VERY LUCKY I HAVE A LOCAL DEALER THAT IS A BIG HELP WHEN I
HAVE APROBLEM WITH THESE THINGS
I have been looking for about 6 months for a .30 piston and have not been able to find one, but yes keeping the old engine and sticking in the new one for now was what I was hoping to do but still keep looking for the parts. Appreciate the reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking for about 6 months for a .30 piston and have not been able to find one, but yes keeping the old engine and sticking in the new one for now was what I was hoping to do but still keep looking for the parts. Appreciate the reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. Looked it up on Isavetractor.com and ordered. Looks like the correct piston. You guys are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts