JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK group, I have a topic for us to voice our opinions on. When it comes to doing a complete restoration on one of your's or somebody else's tractor, what steps or things do you enjoy doing the most and what steps or things do you absolutely despise doing?

For the steps or things that you enjoy doing, do you let other people help you with it or do you keep it only for yourself to finish?

For the steps or things that you don't like to do, do you force yourself through it or do you pay or con someone else to finish it?

Have fun!! 馃檪

Super Moderator
Never did a complete restoration just refreshing. Me being the wrenching kinda guy I like the tear down, repair and reassemble part. I like seeing fast progress. That's why I guess I don't like the painting part.
As far as help I think it's always nice to have someone else there to bounce ideas back and forth and it also makes it more fun for me.
So when it comes to the things I don't like i'll always take an offer for help. However if said offer doesn't happen i'll give most anything a shot.

Registered
I enjoy the whole thing,maybe not the tear down as much.
The painting and putting things back together to see what you've created is the most rewarding.
I do enjoy sharing and discussing with all of you issues or items very much since we do not live very close its like your right next door. Good to have reliable friends to lean on now and then

Registered
OK group, I have a topic for us to voice our opinions on. When it comes to doing a complete restoration on one of your's or somebody else's tractor, what steps or things do you enjoy doing the most and what steps or things do you absolutely despise doing?

For the steps or things that you enjoy doing, do you let other people help you with it or do you keep it only for yourself to finish?

For the steps or things that you don't like to do, do you force yourself through it or do you pay or con someone else to finish it?

Have fun!! 馃檪
This is my first garden tractor restoration and for the most part I'm enjoying almost the whole process. I enjoy the mechanical work the most, the tear down, parts inspection, rebuilding, and machining parts back to original specs and the challenges involved in doing that and restoring parts back to original fit and function. I decided to restore my '66 110 round fender back to original which is quite a challenge anytime you're restoring anything over 50 years old. It requires a lot of research and patience because when I decide to do a restoration I'm a real stickler for detail and push myself hard to get it as correct as possible. I also really enjoy the assembly process after parts have been repainted or replated such as cad plated or chromed parts. I like how parts look after cad plating making old parts look brand new again. I do my own parts rework and prep for plating which saves on cost but it takes a lot of time.

I guess the things I like the least are the cleaning process and paint work because these take me so long to do. I've never really done a lot of paint work so this is a real learning process for me. Fiberglass is another thing I've done very little of so I'm having a good friend who's excellent with paint and body work do the hood for me. I'm machining parts for an antique motorcycle that he's restoring so this makes a great trade of skills to reach our goals.

I enjoy having my son help with the restoration since it's a good father and son project and is a good learning experience for him. This website is a tremendous help and a joy to follow and contribute information to. I've always felt that one of the greatest rewards for doing a restoration is making new friends who share your passion and helping each other along the way. I see a lot of that on this website and I truly appreciate all of the work and the excellent job the administrators and many members have done to make this the Great website that it is. My Thanks to all, it's a pleasure taking the journey of restoration with you!(y):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts