• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

Once Dull, Now Shiny!!

Discussion in 'The Toolbox' started by johndeereelfman, Jan 7, 2018.

1. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

While on Facebook one night last week, I came across a wanted add, and the Poster was looking to trade a Model 42 round fender blade for a decent 110 hood. He wasn't looking for perfect, but asked that the hood have the 110 decals, the heat shield, and no major chunks missing. Basically, the Poster had an original 110 tractor with a broken hood, and was looking for a decent replacement that didn't look brand new compared to the originality of the tractor.

So off to the garage I went to see what I could find, after all, I can always use another 42 blade attachment, right? Well since it was very cold this past week, I didn't really feel like spending a whole lot of time digging through the garage looking for a good hood, so I just removed the one off of my current plowing tractor.

IMG_20171231_145937366.jpg IMG_20171231_180121050.jpg

After showing these pictures to the Poster, he said he'd be willing to make the deal as long as the hood would polish up nice. So, off to the garage I went for the polishing compound, Nu-Finish scratch doctor cleaner, a handful of rags, and a bottle of automotive wax. After 3 hours of polishing and then applying four coats of wax, here is how the hood looks like now.

IMG_20180107_140311465.jpg
    IMG_20180107_140319652.jpg
    IMG_20180107_140335232.jpg

I forwarded the results to the Poster and he sealed the deal! He's getting a hood that will match the condition of his original 110 tractor, and I'm getting another 42 Blade. Now hopefully the weather will hold out to be decent as we are planning on making the trade at the Lebanon Show in February. Will be nice to have another blade for the collection, however, after seeing how well this hood turned out, I'm almost sorry that I offered it to trade, as I think it turned out pretty good. Not perfect in anyway, but good enough to keep an original tractor looking complete.

2. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Nice work in the hood Troy, came out great.
    So I see your planning on heading to Lebanon , are you showing or just going?
    Anybody else planning on heading there this year?

3. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Thanks Kyle. Just attending the show this year as it was too much rushing around last year in order to meet the Thursday night set up time frame. I'm meeting some collectors who are coming in from out of state on Saturday morning to make some exchanges and then probably roll. I won't have a lot of time to look around or catch up due to prior commitments for that day.

4. KAJD23

KAJD23 Well-Known Member

Nice job on the hood. The gentleman should be super happy with that hood.