JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning tractor junkies, I'm new here so I'm really unsure if this is the correct forum. First, my tractor is not a JD it's a snapper 1855 with the onan b48m. I'm asking in this forum because I know a lot of JDs have onan engines.

I've freshened this engine up with rings, bearings and gaskets. I've rebuilt the carburator, new condensor and points as well. I've checked for vacuum leaks over and over and over and can find none. I've set the float to 1/8" then tried lesser gaps to no avail, adusted the high and low speed jets to every possible setting, switched the plug wires around on the coil(trying anything at this point) and the issue persists. My fuel pump is a shroud mounted after market vacuum assisted pump.

I've linked the video on facebook, in the video you will hear the engine idle up high, I did not touch the throttle as you can see if you watch the linkage. When I do advance the throttle to high speed the engine bogs and dies. One thing I have observed, the exhust on the driver side stays a lot cooler than the passenger side. I can grab the driver manifold and hold it comfortably with no issue, the passenger side will blister with a quick touch.

Oh one other point to note is I've pulled the valve covers and inspected the valve operations, they are all opening and closing with no binding whatsoever.

At this point, I'm ready to yank the onan in lieu of a kohler or briggs engine.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/831304663625606?view=permalink&id=2893702804052438

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing to look at is the hole in which you have the governor rod connected into. I had a huge surging problem with my B 43 and I had the gov. rod in the wrong hole. Move it a hole back or forward and see what happens. Also if your exhaust is cool on one side I believe your exhaust valve may be out of adjustment. I believe it should be set a .07 and the intake at .03 or .04
Good luck, it will work out for ya if you just keep at her. You just can't kill them Onan B motors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts