JD Fanatic Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
As for paint, I use a brand called Tallman Ag paint. It gives a really nice shine right out of the can, but if you take your time and do the prep work correctly, you can get a mirror like finish. It's an acrylic enamel paint, and if you choose to use it, they also have an acrylic lacquer clear coat available for the final coats.

I don't have a picture of the fenders anymore but I was working on restoring my sons Wheel Horse RJ a couple of years ago and I used the acrylic lacquer. After the fenders were polished, I had such a mirror finish that I could read the neighbors house number from his porch which was about 200 feet down the alleyway.

This '66 110 frame isn't done yet, but this is the finish I have so far with the Tallman paint:

View attachment 11301
You've achieved a truly amazing finish with the Tallman paint, a real testimony to all of the great prep work that you do I'm sure. We could all learn a great deal from your techniques. Thanks for this great example.

·
Registered
J.D. 65 110
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Is there a logical order start rebuilding without taking the whole thing apart? My mistake was painting the tank. Decided there was some wiring that needed attention and ruined the not so great paint job (on the tank only!). I guess my question is there an order to taking this 110 apart and working on wiring ect... and not destroying progress? And where would you buy a new key switch? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
RF's are pretty easy to take apart, you 'll learn from mistakes and gain the knowledge for your next repair
As far as an order it really depends on what you repairing or how you want to restore it.
Take notes, pictures, etc to help you remember how it goes back together
You won't destroy it for sure, just don't get over whelmed and give up. Sometimes
its easier to walk away and come back.
Many very good and knowledgeable people here that can give you the guidance you may need.
I have leaned on them a time or two and am not ashamed to say it really helps when your stuck or frustrated.
New switches are available from Ma Deere, Ebay, I FixTractors website
Good luck

·
Registered
J.D. 65 110
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very good advise. I am currently concentrating on the mechanics of it. And once I am very familiar with the whole machine and am confident of its state, I will worry with the cosmetics. Thanks. Funny you said that , that is exactly how I started today with it. Replacing wires, hose ect....

21 - 37 of 37 Posts