JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
J.D. 65 110
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this gem and was wanting to know just about everything about it and every piece of info (where to find the info) on it! Especially the manuals. Its a series 110 and the serial number is A27159. Am I correct in assuming its a 1965? Any info anyone want to give is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Administrator
Welcome aboard and Thanks for joining us!

You are correct, the tractor year is 1965. Looks to be in decent shape with the exception of the broken corner on the hood. Not exactly sure why the previous owner had the battery mounted to the rear hitch but it appears as though no damage was done and can easily be changed back to the original location, under the hood.

Congratulations on the new purchase and be aware, these tractors seem to reproduce when you aren't looking!! 馃榿

Registered
Welcome to the site. Solid looking RF you purchased ,congrats.
Great people here and you鈥檝e figured out already pics are a must.
A few of our friends here are walking books of knowledge on the 100 and 200 series tractors and then there are those of us who just enjoy the hobby and comparing notes .
As Troy said careful they do multiply like rabbits!!!!

Administrator
Welcome to WFM.

Looking forward to how the snowball effect hits you.

WFM????? SHAME ON YOU MENTIONING THAT SITE HERE!!!! BOOOOOOO!!! 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Administrator
Thanks. It seems to be ok. Aside from the inevitable "varnish" in the fuel system it appears to be a relatively straight forward restore. I primed it a little and jumped the starter off and it cranked up fairly quickly. now the fun begins!
Fill the gas tank with straight apple cider vinegar and let it soak a day or two. Empty it out and refill it again. After two days, empty it, wash out the tank good with clean water, then dry out the inside as best you can with air from your compressor. The inside of your tank should look almost new.

Registered
I just bought this gem and was wanting to know just about everything about it and every piece of info (where to find the info) on it! Especially the manuals. Its a series 110 and the serial number is A27159. Am I correct in assuming its a 1965? Any info anyone want to give is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Welcome to our website and congrats on the nice find of your '65 110. You'll find Many very Knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly JD lawn and garden tractor enthusiasts on this site who'll be able to answer almost any question you may have about these JDs. They've put in many hours developing reference charts and registry info which you'll find very interesting and highly valuable. As they've said, post lots of photos as you go along and enjoy the journey.

Registered
J.D. 65 110
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to our website and congrats on the nice find of your '65 110. You'll find Many very Knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly JD lawn and garden tractor enthusiasts on this site who'll be able to answer almost any question you may have about these JDs. They've put in many hours developing reference charts and registry info which you'll find very interesting and highly valuable. As they've said, post lots of photos as you go along and enjoy the journey.
Should I post photos on this thread or start a new one in another area?

Registered
J.D. 65 110
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. So I will venture to say the color is classic green? And does anyone have a preferred place to get this paint? Also even though this little guy has been sitting indoors for with the last owner for a couple of years is there any bearings that will likely need attention? And does anyone have a preferred place for parts? Thanks.

Registered
J.D. 65 110
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Welcome aboard and Thanks for joining us!

You are correct, the tractor year is 1965. Looks to be in decent shape with the exception of the broken corner on the hood. Not exactly sure why the previous owner had the battery mounted to the rear hitch but it appears as though no damage was done and can easily be changed back to the original location, under the hood.

Congratulations on the new purchase and be aware, these tractors seem to reproduce when you aren't looking!! 馃榿
Yeah......, it just dawned on me what yall meant when you said they reproduce when your not looking. Thats when I say "look, his and hers!" Not sure that would work. I could see that down the road without a doubt.

Administrator
Classic Green and Ag Green is a sore subject with most collectors. Most collectors will say Ag Green was the only paint shade used on garden tractors but I disagree. I have spent numerous hours arguing with guys and even showed them proof that Classic Green was indeed used on garden tractors but all it got me was them ganging together and making an arse out of me. I even showed them paint swatches from the John Deere factory showing that Deere used about 5-6 different Green shades throughout the years. Again I got an argument saying that Deere only used 2 shades of Green.

Since you asked for our opinions, I will tell you Classic Green is what should be used. It's your tractor though so you do what you feel is best.

An old saying that I like to voice every now and then:

"Those of us who think they know everything, really annoy those of us who really do."

馃榿馃榿

Registered
J.D. 65 110
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Classic Green and Ag Green is a sore subject with most collectors. Most collectors will say Ag Green was the only paint shade used on garden tractors but I disagree. I have spent numerous hours arguing with guys and even showed them proof that Classic Green was indeed used on garden tractors but all it got me was them ganging together and making an arse out of me. I even showed them paint swatches from the John Deere factory showing that Deere used about 5-6 different Green shades throughout the years. Again I got an argument saying that Deere only used 2 shades of Green.

Since you asked for our opinions, I will tell you Classic Green is what should be used. It's your tractor though so you do what you feel is best.

An old saying that I like to voice every now and then:

"Those of us who think they know everything, really annoy those of us who really do."

馃榿馃榿
Very good. Classic is what I thought I figured out on the deere website. Fortunately it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me, I'm not that good at telling shades of colors differences. You could call me shade blind.

Administrator
As for paint, I use a brand called Tallman Ag paint. It gives a really nice shine right out of the can, but if you take your time and do the prep work correctly, you can get a mirror like finish. It's an acrylic enamel paint, and if you choose to use it, they also have an acrylic lacquer clear coat available for the final coats.

I don't have a picture of the fenders anymore but I was working on restoring my sons Wheel Horse RJ a couple of years ago and I used the acrylic lacquer. After the fenders were polished, I had such a mirror finish that I could read the neighbors house number from his porch which was about 200 feet down the alleyway.

This '66 110 frame isn't done yet, but this is the finish I have so far with the Tallman paint:

Administrator
I guess I should note, if you go with using the Tallman paint, especially the yellow, you'll find that after it dries it will be a shade off. However if you wet sand the paint, the yellow will match perfectly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts