JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to our local hardware store this morning to pick up a couple cans of primer and while loading the basket my eye caught a can of yellow paint that I haven't seen before. I'm not a fan of ACE brand paint but since the cap color seems to be a very close match to John Deere yellow, I figured I'll give it a try. At $3.98 a can, I don't have much to lose.

As you can read, the color is Sunshine Yellow. I sprayed the inside of a 120 rim that I'm working on so if it's not the correct shade then no harm done as you won't see it once the tire is mounted.

It didn't spray bad however the can has those stupid spray nozzles where the top of the nozzle pushes down on a thin metal rod. 馃槧 Other than that, I think the shade is spot on. I'll finish out this rim with a few more coats and then wet sand it to see what type of finish it'll produce. I normally use the Tallman's yellow which is also spot on to John Deere's yellow, but only after it's wet sanded. Right out of the can is more like a pale yellow. This rim is sprayed with the Tallman yellow but hasn't been wet sanded yet. I think you can see how pale it looks.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well........the color matches and that's about the only thing I like about the paint. It took a whole can of paint to cover this rim twice. Not very good coverage.

Since it's been awhile of painting yellow, I did forget myself and used grey primer. I switched to using the darker brown/red primer a few years because I found that you don't need as many coats of yellow to cover, like you do if using the grey. I don't know what the difference is other than shade, but I found that I used a whole lot less yellow when using the dark primer. Anyone else find the same results?

Registered
Whenever we paint yellow, we use either white primer or spray white paint before painting it yellow. It will cover a lot better!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts