JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for members who have original 1966 and 1967 110/112 tractors. If you know for sure that your hoods are original and unmolested, would you snap a picture or two of the backside of your hood pins please? I'm primarily looking for the threaded end that goes into the hood supports. Rusted pins are perfect. No need to remove or disassemble the hood, just open the hood and take pictures. Post them on this thread if you can help.

Thanks guys and I appreciate any help.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reproduction company that we are all familiar with says the '63 and '64 110's are the only years that have drilled hood pins for the spring pins. According to them, the '65-'67 110's and 112's didn't use spring pins. All of my tractors, '63-'67 110's and 112's and '66-'69 60's have drilled pins. I figured I'll reach out to others to see what everyone else has.

Reactions: HD-JD110Fan

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ken for the help.

Registered
The reproduction company that we are all familiar with says the '63 and '64 110's are the only years that have drilled hood pins for the spring pins. According to them, the '65-'67 110's and 112's didn't use spring pins. All of my tractors, '63-'67 110's and 112's and '66-'69 60's have drilled pins. I figured I'll reach out to others to see what everyone else has.

It sure is crazy how much money they want for the 1963 and 1964 hood pins! I recently priced them from deere and they are half of what hapco wants.

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm looking for members who have original 1966 and 1967 110/112 tractors. If you know for sure that your hoods are original and unmolested, would you snap a picture or two of the backside of your hood pins please? I'm primarily looking for the threaded end that goes into the hood supports. Rusted pins are perfect. No need to remove or disassemble the hood, just open the hood and take pictures. Post them on this thread if you can help.

Thanks guys and I appreciate any help.
Troy, I'm sending photos of the hood pins that came on my '66 110 which I'm pretty sure are the originals. My 110 is original in almost all respects as far as I've been able to determine from owner manual photos and brochure photos that I've studied in detail. They were slightly rusty when I got my 110 but cleaned up real well and fortunately the chrome plating was still in good shape. I hadn't reinstalled them yet so this was a good time to take some close up photos. Let me know if you need precise measurements and I'll be happy to measure any needed details.

DSC02844.JPG
DSC02846.JPG
DSC02847.JPG
DSC02849.JPG
DSC02852.JPG

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sure is crazy how much money they want for the 1963 and 1964 hood pins! I recently priced them from deere and they are half of what hapco wants.

They want to know why they aren't selling anything, this is why!! I would support them as much as I could but like you said Brandan, when you can buy some of their inventory cheaper through the dealer, why bother. I think they jack the pricing up on the dealer available parts just to cover the expenses put out for the non-available dealer items that they carry. I don't know why they just don't go back to their original plan of reproducing only the items that are no longer available.

I personally think all of their items are highly over priced. I think they think their friendship with collectors will be strong enough for guys to pay the high prices. What's really frustrating is that most of the stuff they carry is always listed as temporarily out of stock. Sometimes for months!! Gives a whole new meaning to "temporarily". I've been waiting a long time for 60/70 seat cushions. I don't even want to talk about the pricing for wiring harnesses. Just nuts!! With the pricing of reproduction parts and tires, how are collectors supposed to restore these old machines under a reasonable price? You can't tell me that it costs over $100 to run off a set of tractor decals when you are making duplicates of each decal and the design is saved in the computer. I just don't get the thinking and logic behind it all.

Sorry for the vent.

Registered
They want to know why they aren't selling anything, this is why!! I would support them as much as I could but like you said Brandan, when you can buy some of their inventory cheaper through the dealer, why bother. I think they jack the pricing up on the dealer available parts just to cover the expenses put out for the non-available dealer items that they carry. I don't know why they just don't go back to their original plan of reproducing only the items that are no longer available.

I personally think all of their items are highly over priced. I think they think their friendship will collectors will be strong enough for guys to pay the high prices. What's really frustrating is that most of the stuff they carry is always listed as temporarily out of stock. Sometimes for months!! Gives a whole new meaning to "temporarily". I've been waiting a long time for 60/70 seat cushions. I don't even want to talk about the pricing for wiring harnesses. Just nuts!! With the pricing of reproduction parts and tires, how are collectors supposed to restore these old machines under a reasonable price? You can't tell me that it costs over $100 to run off a set of tractor decals when you are making duplicates of each decal and the design is saved in the computer. I just don't get the thinking and logic behind it all.

Sorry for the vent.

Yes, I agree! Cory Farr is the one who makes the wiring harnesses for Hapco, I messaged him personally and he sold me a harness for the 1964 110 we are currently restoring for $100 shipped and hapco wants $200 plus shipping for it. Seems like they double the price on everything! Same thing with the lift handle and variator handle grips....

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even $100 seems high to me. Especially since the '65-'67 harnesses from the dealership only runs around $35.00. 馃槖

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to Mark suggesting to check part numbers on the hood pins, I found the answers that I was looking for. After going through all of the parts manuals that I have for each year of tractors, here are the findings:

1963/1964 110's
M 40136 M - shown drilled with spring pin

1965/1966/1967 110's and 112's
M 40785 M - shown drilled with spring pin

1966-1969 60's
M 40785 M - shown drilled but no spring pin

1970-1974 70's
M 42227 M - not drilled/no spring pin

So now I guess I need to do some homework to find out what the difference is or why the different part number between the '63/'64 hood pins and the '65-'69 hood pins.

Registered
I believe the difference between the 1963/1964 and the 65-67 pins is the length. The 63/64 are a bit longer.

Registered

I personally think all of their items are highly over priced. I think they think their friendship with collectors will be strong enough for guys to pay the high prices. What's really frustrating is that most of the stuff they carry is always listed as temporarily out of stock. Sometimes for months!! Gives a whole new meaning to "temporarily". I've been waiting a long time for 60/70 seat cushions. I don't even want to talk about the pricing for wiring harnesses. Just nuts!! With the pricing of reproduction parts and tires, how are collectors supposed to restore these old machines under a reasonable price? You can't tell me that it costs over $100 to run off a set of tractor decals when you are making duplicates of each decal and the design is saved in the computer. I just don't get the thinking and logic behind it all.

Sorry for the vent.
[/QUOTE

Amen on the comments about Hapco pricing, I totally agree with you and Brandan on that. With any amount of shopping around at all, one can see how many of their prices are way out of line, so many things doubled in price and some way more. Another example is their thrust bearings for the Ross steering column which are 4 times higher than what you can get them for on Ebay. I've bought a few things from them and would have supported them more if they'd priced things more commpetitively. Their 110 RF seat cover is one thing I can say they did an excellent job on reproducing though and I was really impressed with their efforts on that. I think we all like having a supplier so dedicated to John Deere lawn and garden tractors but with their pricing it makes you wonder how well they're doing and if they'll survive. Hopefully they'll rethink their pricing and marketing strategies and survive in the marketplace. Time will tell but the clock is ticking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts