JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 1966 wheelhorse k181 engine be a suitable replacement for my 1966 RF, or should i look for a block from a John deere. Also is the transaxle easily removed. i need to get it out so it and the frame can be painted. Hope to have painting done in a few weeks so i can start reassembly.

·
Super Moderator
984 Posts
As long as the oil pan on the Wheel Horse engine is flat on the bottom, it should bolt right to your frame. One thing to check though, and that is to be sure the oil drain plug will line up with the hole in the frame. 

As for the transmission, you remove the three bolts holding on each fender, then remove the two bolts holding on the seat spring, and then the bolts found on each side of the frame, towards the rear. Remove the plastic shifter cover, disconnect the brake rod, remove the transmission drive pulley, and disconnect the the spring holding the tension for the idler pulley, just in front of the transmission drive pulley. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. Once all of the bolts are removed and miscellaneous items described above are all disconnected, the transmission should drop out while lifting the rear of the frame up. 

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I have the oil pan from the original engine that was in my tractor.  I assume it would match up since both engines are k181s.

as far as the transmission. The fenders, seat spring, seat, foot rest, shifter cover and pulley cover have been painted. Ready to get started on the bigger stuff. Plus finding an engine or a block to be rebuilt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts