JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1959 Ford 851. I got this in the deal with the Patio last September. The former owner couldn't get it running and thought the engine was shot. It turned out to have stuck valves and the subsequent bent push rods. I had thought one of my sons would be interested in it, but that didn't work out so I've taken the lead. The old girl is all there and not beat up. Sheet metal is surface rusty but straight. I had thought about speculating on it or trading it, but I'm getting attached to it now.

IMG_20160315_213521969.jpg

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Looks like it will be a fun project for you John. Should keep you busy for awhile anyway. Are you planning on restoring it or just going to keep it in it's work clothes for now? 

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today's progress. Rebuilt the distributor using Genuine NOS parts. New 6 volt coil, New 6 volt battery and cables, engine light timed to 5 degrees BTDC, plugs cleaned and gapped at .025, valves set Hot at .015, replacement manifold assembly installed,  tank bracket air shield cracks welded up, governor linkage adjusted. Air cleaner soaked in MAPH, installed with new hoses and oiled.  Tomorrow I will install the tank and hood. I've had enough for today.  J.

IMG_20160319_202846772.jpg

IMG_20160319_202914221.jpg

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Wow John, you've been busy! Looking good. Yes, take a break, I was getting played out just reading all that you've done today.  ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's progress in reverse.  I decided to have the radiator re-cored, then decided to re-bush the axle center pivot. It has a screw in center pin that was found to have seized in the bushing, so the axle pivot action was wearing the threaded portions of the mount. Welding and machine work now.  This is a common wear item in these tractors and is always neglected until too late. We can rebuild it.....We have the technology.......We can make it more better. J.

IMG_20160321_201956464_TOP.jpg

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Well done John, looks good in it's work clothes! 

1 - 17 of 17 Posts