• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

My latest project

Discussion in 'JD Farm Tractor Forum' started by SelectOSpeed, Mar 19, 2016.

1. SelectOSpeed

SelectOSpeed Well-Known Member

1959 Ford 851. I got this in the deal with the Patio last September. The former owner couldn't get it running and thought the engine was shot. It turned out to have stuck valves and the subsequent bent push rods. I had thought one of my sons would be interested in it, but that didn't work out so I've taken the lead. The old girl is all there and not beat up. Sheet metal is surface rusty but straight. I had thought about speculating on it or trading it, but I'm getting attached to it now.

IMG_20160315_213521969.jpg

5 people like this.
  2. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Looks like it will be a fun project for you John. Should keep you busy for awhile anyway. Are you planning on restoring it or just going to keep it in it's work clothes for now? 

4 people like this.

3. SelectOSpeed

Just keep it work clothes on. It would be an excellent candidate for full restoration but I'm not up to it.  

4 people like this.
  4. SelectOSpeed

Today's progress. Rebuilt the distributor using Genuine NOS parts. New 6 volt coil, New 6 volt battery and cables, engine light timed to 5 degrees BTDC, plugs cleaned and gapped at .025, valves set Hot at .015, replacement manifold assembly installed,  tank bracket air shield cracks welded up, governor linkage adjusted. Air cleaner soaked in MAPH, installed with new hoses and oiled.  Tomorrow I will install the tank and hood. I've had enough for today.  J.

IMG_20160319_202846772.jpg

IMG_20160319_202914221.jpg

6 people like this.
  5. johndeereelfman

Wow John, you've been busy! Looking good. Yes, take a break, I was getting played out just reading all that you've done today.  ;)

4 people like this.
  6. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Nice John , quality time in the man cave. Making me feel bad all I did was paint a bathroom ceiling and recaulk a tub! Would have rather been in the cave like you!! I did order parts for the 64 110 to help break her of her smoking habit. Keep up the quality work

4 people like this.
  7. SelectOSpeed

Here is the 59's older sister 1958 851 Diesel all original except for tires and service items. I bought it from my Dad's farming buddy who purchased it new.

JohnM_1958851.jpg

5 people like this.
  8. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    I can see why you have a soft spot for these,That's a good looking piece.

Your collection has a real nice variety

4 people like this.
  9. SelectOSpeed

I was 4 months old when this tractor was built in July of 58.

3 people like this.
  10. SelectOSpeed

Today's progress in reverse.  I decided to have the radiator re-cored, then decided to re-bush the axle center pivot. It has a screw in center pin that was found to have seized in the bushing, so the axle pivot action was wearing the threaded portions of the mount. Welding and machine work now.  This is a common wear item in these tractors and is always neglected until too late. We can rebuild it.....We have the technology.......We can make it more better. J.

IMG_20160321_201956464_TOP.jpg

4 people like this.
  11. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    How's the rebuilding process coming?

2 people like this.
  12. SelectOSpeed

She ain't purty, but she is together. Took my first ride on it at midnight. 

IMG_20160328_224650102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
    5 people like this.
  13. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    I don't know about purty but I think its kind of cool looking. Nice to see its back among the living sure it felt good to take it out . So  which project gets the flat head v-8 motor  in the back round?

I like the nice "record player"" hidden under the tarp.

3 people like this.
  14. SelectOSpeed

The Flatmotor is just shop dressing.  Beside it out of view is a Ford 427 with 3 deuces. The Record Player is a 1946 Wurlitzer model 1015 . 

IMG_20151226_140939536.jpg

5 people like this.
  15. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    you have to have the coolest man cave!!! If there's a working stocked frig you are King .

Any plans for that 427? It would make the convertible scream. LOL !

3 people like this.
  16. SelectOSpeed

Just happens there is a fridge....1953 International Harvester !

3 people like this.
  17. johndeereelfman

Well done John, looks good in it's work clothes! 

3 people like this.