• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

My Latest Acquisition, 1953 40S

Discussion in 'JD Farm Tractor Forum' started by grnspot, Feb 7, 2015.

1. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Last fall I ran across something on Kansas City CL I'd wanted for 50 years, after drooling over it for about a month, I decided to go buy it;

HPIM3273.JPG    HPIM3271.JPG

A 1953 40 Standard!

In the mid 1960's my folks bought a farm about 10 miles from home. The farm was on a dirt road & we kept some cattle there, so Dad went to the usual jd dealer looking for an 8N Ford to put a lead hitch on to pull behind the pickup to the new farm. They had two @ $750 & $850, also an MT jd for $150, he bought the MT, made a cart to run the front wheels into to tow. I spent a lot of hours & road miles on that MT & had an itch for an M or 40S. It now belongs to me:   HPIM1372.JPG    HPIM1375.JPG

& Chief & Dotties, of course!

After finding the 40, I found a Ford 5' front blade, made my own mounting brackets for it to clean the drive:   HPIM1389.JPG    HPIM1394.JPG

HPIM1401.JPG    HPIM1489.JPG    HPIM1488.JPG

The blade will be painted green when the weather warms up this spring!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    7 people like this.
  2. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Nice tractor Lowell, always love the sound of a two-cylinder. Welcome to the site, and glad to have you aboard! 

3 people like this.

3. Lgtpower

Lgtpower New Member

I never owned a farm tractor, but always liked the look of a John Deere 320, an H, and the John Deere 1010. I see pretty many H's at shows, but not a lot of 320's or 1010's around. Where the 1010's a rare model? If memory serves me correctly, they were produced in 1963 correct? Were they considered a two cylinder, or did they have four cylinder engines? 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    3 people like this.
  4. grnspot

grnspot New Member

The 320 is basically the same tractor as the 40.   jd replaced the 40 with the 420, roughly 20% more HP than the 40.  But had enough call for the smaller size, they came out with the 320!

The 1010 was built from 1960-65 36 HP, 4 cylinder, part of John Deere's "New Generation" series.

3 people like this.
  5. grnspot

grnspot New Member

It warmed up enough today so that the blue blade;   HPIM1541.JPG  

is now green:     HPIM1556.JPG

Five coats of Rustoleum "John Deere Green", last two with hardener.  Hopefully, I'll get it back together tomorrow & put in the back shed for storage until next winter.

4 people like this.
  6. Green is good Lowell maybe I will have one of those bigger Deere someday . I like the looks of those and the little LA's

3 people like this.
  7. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Put the blade back together this morning, first the pivot bolts:   HPIM1557.JPG

Next, the springs:   HPIM1558.JPG

Next, the original Ford serial number plate:   HPIM1559.JPG

Back in one piece:   HPIM1560.JPG

Used the 790 w/300 loader to move it to the back shed for storage until next snow season:   HPIM1561.JPG

Slow & easy does it:   HPIM1562.JPG

Had to re-hook to get it through the shed door:   HPIM1563.JPG

3 people like this.
  8. -GR-

-GR- Where am I? Staff Member

Lowell, the plow turned out great. It's great that you have the 790 and loader to move stuff around with. That plow can't be light. I like that you put hose over the bolt threads.

3 people like this.
  9. johndeereelfman

Looks great Lowell! Glad to see that there isn't anymore of those foreign colors in the shed anymore! [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. grnspot

grnspot New Member

I decided on another attachment for the 40, it's been setting out back for years:   HPIM1574.JPG

Dad bought this model 20 3-pt dirt scoop 45-50 years ago at a farm auction.  It was in good shape until my uncle used it on his 4010, he caught something & bent the "H" out of it!  We got it straightened out & re-enforced it (to us, not for looks)!  Yesterday when ordering decals for the 40S,   HPIM1572.JPG    HPIM1573.JPG

I decided to cleanup the 20 scoop & ordered period correct decals for it too.  Today I brought it to the shed & cut the re-enforcement's off.  Five 1/8" x 4-1/2" cutting disks later & some grinding:   HPIM1575.JPG

I'll need a little body putty in places when I get it cleaned & sanded for painting with jd "Classic Green"!

3 people like this.
  11. johndeereelfman

Looks like a very useful tool Lowell. Can't wait to see how it turns out when finished.

2 people like this.
  12. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Three coats of jd "Classic Green this morning:   HPIM1584.JPG    HPIM1585.JPG

Hope to put it back together in a day or two!

3 people like this.
  13. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Finished the 20 scoop this morning, hardest part was spreading the "drawbar" enough to fit over the side knobs:   HPIM1588.JPG

Decals are on & it's now stored in the back shed until show season:   HPIM1589.JPG    HPIM1590.JPG

4 people like this.
  14. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    Nice job, that is an item that not many people have around I`m sure.

Don.

4 people like this.
  15. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Put the decals on the sheet metal of the 40 today:   HPIM1591.JPG    HPIM1592.JPG

3 people like this.
  16. johndeereelfman

That looks good Lowell, Nice Job!

3 people like this.
  17. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Put the 1-14" plow on the 40 today for a short ditching project:   HPIM1604.JPG    HPIM1605.JPG  

It needs some cleaning now:   HPIM1606.JPG

3 people like this.
  18. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Finally, I got started on the little 40, taking it apart for a paint job.   HPIM1667.JPG

When I took the hood & grille off, I found a nice surprise.  New radiator!   HPIM1668.JPG   

Gas tank's off, oil pan is off for cleaning:   HPIM1669.JPG

I was even able to get the battery tray off without twisting any bolts off!

3 people like this.
  19. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Gone about as far as I'm going to go on the 40:   HPIM1672.JPG

HPIM1673.JPG

HPIM1674.JPG

I need to do some wire brushing in some areas yet.  Hope to spray some paint by the end of the week!

3 people like this.
  20. grnspot

grnspot New Member

Primer on this morning:   HPIM1676.JPG

This afternoon, 4 double coats of JD "Classic Green":   HPIM1679.JPG HPIM1678.JPG HPIM1677.JPG

Hope to clean the wheels up tomorrow & give them a coat of JD "Yellow"!

3 people like this.