• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

My collection has grown from 1 to 5!

Discussion in 'JD Lawn & Garden Tractor Forum' started by Woodr004, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    nice looks like a lot of parts

Chaser likes this.

2. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

nice group of parts, an i know how it goes i need another carport in my yard to store them

Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  3. Not sure if I posted this or not.

Attached Files:

Chaser, Kster526 and backwoods like this.
  4. backwoods

that is beautiful

5. Thanks, I go get it this Saturday. Question, what is a mule for this machine worth?

6. backwoods

wouldnt have a clue , but then again i usually sell my extra parts

Chaser likes this.
  7. I put it out on weekend freedom machines to see. just figured I'd ask. I usually don't sell stuff, I collect and trade but when a guy needs a hand, I don't mind helping out. Course this stuff is expensive - I looked up the mower deck rear hanging straps, JD gets a 100 bucks for a set!

Chaser, Kster526 and backwoods like this.
  8. backwoods

i know ive been looking for a mule drive for my 300 an yikes its expensive

9. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    THATS JUST SHOWING OFF ALL THOSE NICE PARTS IN ONE COLLECTION

Chaser likes this.
  10. Chaser

Chaser Well-Known Member

That's a great set up!

Kster526 likes this.
  11. Thank you. I just ordered out 13 different colors of primary wire. I am going to make new wiring harness this winter for three of them and start making them look new.

backwoods, Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  12. I have a local guy with a nice mule drive for a 140. He is asking 100 bucks and I am sure you could get it for 75. If you are interested I will give you his cell number.

Kster526 and Chaser like this.
  13. Fergus McDaniel

Fergus McDaniel New Member

Hello: Are you able to re-use some of the electrical fittings? I'm working on a 1966 RF 110 restoration. The wire harness is all there, and most of the wires are in good shape, though I may find problems as I clean them. I considered buying the harness wiring kit from HAPCO, but the price is just too much. I also considered rebuilding the harness myself, but I don't see where I can purchase the correct fittings. Do you know of a source for those fittings, or can the original fittings be taken apart and rewired? Thanks.

14. Yes you can reuse some of the original stuff, I rewired a 1969 JD 140 and used spade connectors etc that I bought from NAPA. I bought the wire there as well. I just bought all 13 colors of wire used in the 140. I bought them in 100 foot rolls and paid like 12-13 dollars apiece. I bought the striped wire in the same 100 foot rolls from a marine distributor. All told I have about 3/4 of the price for 1 of HAPCO harness. I would suggest that you get some manila wire tags(the wire twists around the part you are marking and you write on the manila portion where the connection goes.)
    I really don't recall any unusual connectors. Just standard but connectors, ring connectors and spade connectors. Those can be gotten at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight, Northern Hydraulic store. I have never looked at a RF 110 but my guess is that they used standard 14-16 gauge wire (I am using 16 gauge) and standard electrical fittings. Hope this helps. Feel free to send some pictures of the harness in question. It does help and we all like looking at pictures!!

Pat

Kster526 likes this.
  15. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    agreed standard electrical connectors work, the pto switch you can use crimp on female bullet style connectors. I rewired mine and did not have any problem using them.

16. As I recall, it was pretty easy. Take your time. mark your connections or do like I did, figuring I can remember that and then spent unnecessary wasted time scratching my head trying to remember which goes where, get a schematic for reference, practice making connections on some spare wire and have at it! A VOM is very useful tool to have around for anything electrical.

17. backwoods

if i could right now i would but between the kitchen remodel work an mowing i have no tinker time on the tractors at all they just sit an collect dust

18. I know the feeling!

19. Fergus McDaniel

Fergus McDaniel New Member

Thank you for the reply and information. It's the 'quick connectors' I was curious about re-using. Wires were inserted when they were originally assembled, and I was thinking that there must be a way to take them apart, so that new wire(s) could be inserted. I've found after a thorough cleaning that almost all of the wires are still alright. I've attached a 'before' photo of the quick connector that attaches to the ignition switch.

Quick Connector.png

It was pretty dirty, and there were scorch marks on the back of the original ignition switch, so I thought it might be best to replace the quick connector. I couldn't find a source to purchase identical quick connectors, so I tried cleaning them. And, they cleaned up nicely. I did have to replace the fork connector on the pink wire that goes to the ignition coil, and I have to replace the battery cables and lugs. But, the rest of the wires can be reused.

Thanks again for your reply.