JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friend's relatives has a John Deere 110 for sale. I haven't seen it yet or even seen any pictures. I guess it is what they consider to be a round fender? I don't know the model year of it. I am going to try and take a look at it here in the next couple weeks if the weather cooperates. Are there any details I should be looking for when I check it out? 

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Not sure who you are referring to Don, but I'll help out anyway I can.

Anyway, things to look for in a round fender are the same things for any tractor when buying used. Here are things I like to look for:

1.Is the motor free or stuck? If it runs, does it have good compression? Does it smoke a lot? How long ago was it since the motor ran last? Is everything there like the starter/generator, carb, gas tank? Is the gas tank pretty clean inside, or is it all rusted out? Is the starter/generator charging, or will it need to be rebuilt or replaced?

2.How does the transmission sound when driving it? Does it whine or have any clicking sounds? Does it shift in all gears? If the transmission doesn't shift into all gears, you might get away with only replacing the shifter forks, but if a gear is missing a tooth, then a rebuild is in order and could cost you more money than expected. Does the gear shift go into all gears rather easy, or is there some effort needed? If rather easy, you'll more than likely need to tear the transmission apart and replace the detent balls.

3.Are all of the belt or pulley guards in place? May not be important to some, but if wanting to restore the tractor to factory standards, original guards can be hard to find or pricey.

4.Is there any attachments included with the sale? Most sales at least include a mower deck. If so, how does the mower deck sound. Will the bearings need replaced? Maybe a new belt? Does it have a bunch of rust holes that will need patched?

5.How is the overall appearance of the tractor? Is it all rusted due to sitting out in the weather for years? can it be restored without too much time and money invested? Are all of the parts original parts, or are there homemade parts jiffy rigged to the tractor in order to make it work?

6.Does the variable speed lever work? Does the tractor respond in all settings, or is there no difference in speed between any of the settings? This something that is easily fixable, but time will be involved in getting it set correctly.

7.How do the tires look? Are they a matched set, or are they a bunch of different types just throw on the tractor to make due? Will they need to be replaced, or can tubes be installed to keep them from going flat?

8.Are all of the electricals present? How does the wiring harness look? Any areas of damage, fire, or splices in the harness? If the tractor has headlights, do they work? Are they in decent shape, or is there parts missing?

Again, some things listed above aren't important to some collectors, but to others they are. These are things that I take into consideration when buying a used tractor, and hopefully they'll give you some things to think about. Good luck to you, and if all goes well for you, don't forget to post some pictures. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No update yet. Weather has been too dang crappy to even bother going to look at it. We are shooting to take a look at it in a couple weeks once the weather clears up a little bit. I am really looking forward to finally getting a John Deere tractor to have around the house. I love the looks of the older John Deere tractors. 

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you giving them away now johndeereelfman????? If so im next in line!!!!

LOL
Ahh, NO! No freebies here. I'll keep you in mind though if I should change my mind.
LOL sorry to get off topic but couldnt resist johndeereelfman!!

Back on topic, good luck with the purchase JD110!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts