JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone, this is a new site to me and my first post! I recently picked up a '91 420 with 600 hours on it. It has a rebuilt snow thrower and a 5' rear blade plus the 60" deck. I'm looking to add a Front End Loader (FEL). The model 44 would be great but they look really hard to find so I'm settling in on the CTC model 4200. While the folks at CTC say the onboard hydraulic pump will handle their loader, I've read varying posts on different sites that say to add an external pump. Has anyone had any experience with the 420 and adding an aftermarket FEL? Will the onboard hydraulic system handle it or is an auxiliary pump needed? If so, any direction on where to look for it would be great! Thanks in advance for any help with my questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Wish I could help ,
Welcome to the sight. Have you tried speaking to a local Mother Deere dealer?
That’s a good looking piece

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to everyone, this is a new site to me and my first post! I recently picked up a '91 420 with 600 hours on it. It has a rebuilt snow thrower and a 5' rear blade plus the 60" deck. I'm looking to add a Front End Loader (FEL). The model 44 would be great but they look really hard to find so I'm settling in on the CTC model 4200. While the folks at CTC say the onboard hydraulic pump will handle their loader, I've read varying posts on different sites that say to add an external pump. Has anyone had any experience with the 420 and adding an aftermarket FEL? Will the onboard hydraulic system handle it or is an auxiliary pump needed? If so, any direction on where to look for it would be great! Thanks in advance for any help with my questions.
New here. I have a 420 with the CTC loader. Your research is correct. The loader is ok but it's lifting power is no where near what they imply.
Maybe 400 lbs if you are lucky. 300 is more realistic.
They originally sold it with an auxiliary pump but had a poor implementation of it and got scorched for it.
I do use it a lot more than I thought I would. Just have to lift smaller bites.
With some bolt on short forks I can lower a pallet of something from the back of the truck but there is no hope of lifting it up there.
I have been going to do a aux pump install but it keeps getting postponed.
I found the information needed on a couple or the other JD garden tractor boards.
Be advised that even with reduced capacity you will need to add rear weights or be prepared for an in your face tip forward.
I have rear wheel weights and 8 JD weights hanging out back.

Oh, I had to fix some issues to the CTC due to poor welding jig positioning or complete lack of it. Things not aligned for example. Forget getting help from him.
The worst was the mount than goes under the tractor. It was not straight and square meaning it didn't line up with the loader correctly.
A cut here, a torch there and a bit of welding fixed that.
He does not take criticism, even friendly at all so don't bother asking for help..
Not horrendous fixes to do but there it is. Many have not run into the same issues I did so yours may be perfect.
Having said all that the CTC is currently the best choice out there.

This probably won't make sense until you get the loader. To make the cross mount easy on / easy off weld flange nuts on the inside of the frame.
This way you only have to zip out the mounting bolts without having to grapple with getting a wrench in and under there for the nut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts