·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSC02079.JPG
DSC02080.JPG
DSC02081.JPG
DSC02082.JPG

I'm posting photos of the Kohler A-232657 oil dipstick used on Kohler K181 8 h.p. engines in John Deere round fenders for Donnie who requested these and other info. These are photos of the one from my 1966 110. Its not in the best shape but a good reference. The metal cap on mine is loose and the retaining disc under the rubber plug is also. This caused the dipstick to slide downward and cause the flattening & deformation on the end of the dipstick since it allowed it to make contact with and vibrate against the bottom of the oil pan, a common problem I've been told as these age. As the rubber ages on these the dipsticks it also becomes a loose fit in the dipstick guide tube as well. You'll note in the last photo the custom made O-ring I made from O-ring stock and super glued the ends together to help make a better fit at the bottom of the oil plug on the dipstick. I think I've improved the fit but won't be able to see how well this works out until I finish the rebuild on my K181. The original A-232657 dipstick is no longer available from Kohler but used ones sometimes show up on Ebay and on rare occasions NOS ones although I've missed these so far. I may end up doing more work on my dipstick metal cap and retaining disk slots, welding them up and re-machining slots to restore the fit on the dipstick but hope I'll be able to avoid the hassle and get lucky finding a new one. I'm also looking into possibly modifying another similar NOS Kohler dipstick that's easier to find and converting it to A-232657 specs. If this works out I'll post more info on this later on. In the mean time I hope the photos and info helps.

·
Banned
0 Posts
View attachment 7597 View attachment 7599 View attachment 7601 View attachment 7603

I'm posting photos of the Kohler A-232657 oil dipstick used on Kohler K181 8 h.p. engines in John Deere round fenders for Donnie who requested these and other info. These are photos of the one from my 1966 110. Its not in the best shape but a good reference. The metal cap on mine is loose and the retaining disc under the rubber plug is also. This caused the dipstick to slide downward and cause the flattening & deformation on the end of the dipstick since it allowed it to make contact with and vibrate against the bottom of the oil pan, a common problem I've been told as these age. As the rubber ages on these the dipsticks it also becomes a loose fit in the dipstick guide tube as well. You'll note in the last photo the custom made O-ring I made from O-ring stock and super glued the ends together to help make a better fit at the bottom of the oil plug on the dipstick. I think I've improved the fit but won't be able to see how well this works out until I finish the rebuild on my K181. The original A-232657 dipstick is no longer available from Kohler but used ones sometimes show up on Ebay and on rare occasions NOS ones although I've missed these so far. I may end up doing more work on my dipstick metal cap and retaining disk slots, welding them up and re-machining slots to restore the fit on the dipstick but hope I'll be able to avoid the hassle and get lucky finding a new one. I'm also looking into possibly modifying another similar NOS Kohler dipstick that's easier to find and converting it to A-232657 specs. If this works out I'll post more info on this later on. In the mean time I hope the photos and info helps.
Thank you for the pictures and information. This is my first 110. I am glad I joined the group. Thanks again. Donnie Smith.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts