JD Fanatic Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
907 Posts
I'm doing a little research and clarification on the tractor mounted rototillers, primarily the Model 30 and 31 tillers. From what I know, both models are identical, other than i.d. code differences, paint colors, and decals. From what I understand is, the Model 30 tillers were the first models co-engineered by Haban and John Deere for the round fender 110's and 112's. As far as I can tell, the first year of production was 1965.

kitchen and attachments 004.JPG

As most know, John Deere introduced the flat fender or square fender line in 1968, continuing the model 110 and 112, but also introducing the new model, the 140. We will stick to the 110's and 112's on this thread. With the new line of flat fender or square fender tractors in 1968, John Deere also needed a new line of attachments. Since John Deere still had plenty of model 30 rototillers in stock, they decided to use this same model for the flat fender or square fender line, but re-tag them as model 31 tillers in order to keep up with the new line introduction. However, these "new model" tillers will require a special bracket in order to mount the old design tiller to the rear of these new line tractors, and will also require a new intermediate drive system in order to operate them.

So let's start out showing the differences or requirements that it takes to mount and operate each model. Here is a typical intermediate drive from a round fender 112, which hangs from the frame of the tractor, just below the engine drive sheave pulley:

Tiller Parts 001.JPG

This is the extra pulley required for operating the rear mounted model 30, that gets fastened to the intermediate drive above:

Tiller Parts 002.JPG

Here is an intermediate drive from a round fender 110, showing how the tiller drive pulley gets installed:

Tiller Parts 004.JPG

And these are the lifting parts required for the tractor in order to lift the tiller:

Garage and Hitch Parts 007.JPG

And this picture shows the belt guard that gets installed under the right foot board of the tractor:

Tiller Parts 005.JPG  

Now, since the new line of flat fender or square fender tractors didn't have the round fender intermediate drive system like shown above, plus had a different hitch set up, John Deere needed to come up with a way of adapting this old style tiller to the new style line. Both, the model 30 and 31 tillers had the same mounting bracket, so an adapter was designed to accommodate both designs. Here is a picture of the typical mounting bracket that was used on both the model 30 and 31 tillers:

March 2, 2015 005.JPG

The mounting bracket above would then be bolted to this adapter:

March 2, 2015 006.JPG

As such:

March 2, 2015 007.JPG

The adapter bracket would then snap on to the back of the tractor just like you would install the integral hitch. Now that you have the tiller mounted to the back of the tractor, you need to install an intermediate drive in order to operate the tiller. As with the round fender intermediate drive, an intermediate drive system was developed for the flat fender or square fender tractors, however, the intermediate drive was moved back to the center of the tractor in lieu of under the engine like the round fender intermediate drive. If you look at the picture below of my '73 110, you'll see a tab welded to the underside of the frame, just below the right foot rest:

Play Concert and Tractors 042.JPG

There is another tab like this welded on the opposite side of the tractor too. The intermediate drive system connects to these tabs, and acts as a meeting point for the front and rear drive belts. Here is what the intermediate drive systems look like:

Tiller Drive 005.JPG

There are different variations of these intermediate drive systems, unfortunately I only have this type right now.

In the next few weeks, as the weather starts to warm up a bit, I will eventually be able to locate some of the other requirement pieces needed for finishing up the installation of these model 30 and 31 tillers. The lifting system for these flat fender or square fender tractors are completely different than those of the round fender tractors, but at least the parts are shown here for quick reference until then.

Something that I would like to have in order to finish this post in the future, is a picture or two of the custom color or patio model 31 tiller, so if anybody out there can post a picture, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.