JD Fanatic Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Since I was playing with wheels today, I did a little experimenting on the 60. Although this first year 60 will keep its original rims and tires, I wanted to see if an idea that I have for another 60 will work. Oh yeah, with a little fabrication I think it's not only going to work, but it will make the tractor look like it won't take any 馃挬!!

Swapping out the rear 8" wheels for bigger 12" wheels and changing the front 6" wheels for 8" wheels.

Registered
That will look pretty cool! I contemplated bumping up my 60 to 20鈥 rears and 15鈥 fronts, but wasn鈥檛 sure if they would interfere with the deck and mom asked what I wanted for Christmas and I tossed out tractor tires and she said ok, so I didn鈥檛 have time to check deck clearances so I kept it stock size.

Registered
Looks much better Troy. Haven鈥檛 seen Wheatley鈥檚 Bleach White for years. Pop used to swear by it.
Those tires will look great on there. Think a skinny set you have tucked away with those ribs on the back would look good also. Like a pro stock!!!
Chaser that thing looks awesome any chance of a few other pics.
Sounds like a new category for the sight may be coming.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A "Custom" thread has been requested, but as you all are aware, we could be waiting awhile for it to be added. 馃槖

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Spent a little time tonight wet sanding the entire fender pan with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper to smooth out the paint and bring back some of the shine. After that was done, I went over the pan twice with polishing compound by hand just to remove a few fine scratches and to lock in the factory shine.

Tomorrow night I'm going to take the electric buffing wheel to it to see if I can get a mirror finish out of it.

I know some of you are thinking that I'm really spending a lot of time and effort on something that should probably be stripped and repainted, but I not only find this relaxing and challenging, but I also enjoy seeing the results by experimenting with different techniques. I'm not as eager as some collectors to just tear tractors apart and restore them. These tractors are only original once, and some of them have an interesting story. I like original patina and history. I like to think, anyone can restore a tractor to new condition, but only a few of us can have the talent to bring the originally back to life! 馃榿

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Calling it done. I'm satisfied with how it turned out. Just hope the rest of the tractor turns out just as well.

Registered
Today I removed one of the front wheels from the 60 and decided to clean up the rim. After spraying the bead with some penetrating oil, I broke the beads with flat screwdrivers, and removed the tire. After seeing what the inside of the rim looked like, I wire wheeled the entire rim and figured I'll just repaint it. I know it won't look right with the original paint of the tractor, but I just couldn't let it go the way it is.

View attachment 11473

View attachment 11474

View attachment 11475

I sprayed the tire with Westley's Bleche-Wite tire cleaner then scrubbed the tire good with a stiff brush. Used a wire brush to remove the over-spray that was on the side walls, rinsed it off real good, and then set it aside so I could start on the rim.

View attachment 11476

View attachment 11477
Thanks for the tip on Westley's Bleche-Wite. I've never tried the product but definitely will if it's not another one of many other great products not available in California. You're doing a really great job on the 60. Thanks for all of the great photos showing the work progression involved.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Registered
Spent a little time tonight wet sanding the entire fender pan with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper to smooth out the paint and bring back some of the shine. After that was done, I went over the pan twice with polishing compound by hand just to remove a few fine scratches and to lock in the factory shine.

View attachment 11521

View attachment 11522

Tomorrow night I'm going to take the electric buffing wheel to it to see if I can get a mirror finish out of it.

I know some of you are thinking that I'm really spending a lot of time and effort on something that should probably be stripped and repainted, but I not only find this relaxing and challenging, but I also enjoy seeing the results by experimenting with different techniques. I'm not as eager as some collectors to just tear tractors apart and restore them. These tractors are only original once, and some of them have an interesting story. I like original patina and history. I like to think, anyone can restore a tractor to new condition, but only a few of us can have the talent to bring the originally back to life! 馃榿
Thanks for sharing your reasons and for your approach on tractors regarding original paint and patina. I see where you're coming from now regarding wanting to preserve those that have an interesting history and story which otherwise would be lost. You are one who definitely has the talent and passion to bring the originality back to life. It's an interesting and very admirable phillosophy and I really commend you for it along with your knowing which tractors are worthy of your time and talents toward doing this.(y) Great Work!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Tonight I removed the seized motor from the second '66 60 that I got from Craig. The head fins, coil, starter, and carb were packed with a mouse nest and so full of gunk that I had to wash the motor twice. After digging out all of the nut shells and twine, I found a tag indicating this is a factory replacement motor. I removed the carb, starter, the remaining tin shields, and the rectifier panel. To my amazement, I didn't have any problems loosening any bolts. The cylinder was full of mud and sludge which took awhile to clean out, but from what I'm seeing so far, the cylinder wall looks really good. I'm hoping to get lucky by getting the piston broke loose and maybe have a decent motor. Would be well worth the $50.00 if the motor ran without any issues!!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well guys, sorry to disappoint some of you, but I did something that I said I didn't want to do. I started stripping the 60 for a repaint. 馃槥 This isn't going to be a complete restoration, but more of a paint what is seen type deal. I don't like doing things this way, but there was just too much rust, and for me to polish the good spots, I know I wouldn't be happy. Just looking to do a quickie and nothing perfect. I'll do a full blown restoration some other time, but at least it'll be protected for now.

Right side stripped and primed:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts