JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a John Deere 140H3 last week from a farmer. It ran great for two days. Went out today to show it to my brother today and it wouldn't move in forward or reverse. Tightened the free-wheeling knob all the way down and still nothing. Loosened the knob about half way and the machine would lurch forward then stop, lurch forward then stop... Nothing in reverse. also, I cannot find an operator's manual on the internet. The decals describing which control does what are missing. Can someone provide a link or source for a manual, or at least describe which control does what? Particularly, the threaded shaft on the left, just below the console, and the round knob control just below the throttle. Thanks.

Administrator

The knob sticking out below the key switch is the parking brake. Push down on the brake pedal all the way and lift up and hook this knob into the notch and the brake pedal should stay down when you lift your foot off the pedal.

The threaded knob sticking straight up from the fender deck is the height adjustment for setting clearances on attachments.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 11670

The knob sticking out below the key switch is the parking brake. Push down on the brake pedal all the way and lift up and hook this knob into the notch and the brake pedal should stay down when you lift your foot off the pedal.

The threaded knob sticking straight up from the fender deck is the height adjustment for setting clearances on attachments.
Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to loosen the free wheeling knob. All the way allows you to push the tractor, all the way up allowa the tractor to move under it's own power.
Thanks. I did that. It will only go forward, in a jerking motion. I don't understand it; it worked great when I parked it on Sunday. Another site said it could be the valves under the seat. Again, I don't see how they could get stuck in three days. The farmer I bought it from said the brakes don't do much, and the tractor is stopped with the transmission lever. This worked, but it can't be correct, can it? Another reason I'm looking for a user's manual, or the input from other owners.

Administrator
The bakes are only used for emergency stopping. Applying the brake while in motion will automatically throw the drive lever control into neutral, or at least it's supposed to.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level? What color is the fluid? If there are any signs of white in the fluid, this means it has water in it and it should be drained and the filter changed right away. Water in the transmission will cause jerkyness while in motion. Still not sure why you can't go in reverse but I'll keep checking to see what I can find. The valves under the seat could very well be sticking and only allowing limited fluid to flow. And yes, this can happen in three days. Daytime temperature could have played a role. We'll get this figured out for you, just don't give up hope.

Reactions: Kster526 and Chaser

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bakes are only used for emergency stopping. Applying the brake while in motion will automatically throw the drive lever control into neutral, or at least it's supposed to.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level? What color is the fluid? If there are any signs of white in the fluid, this means it has water in it and it should be drained and the filter changed right away. Water in the transmission will cause jerkyness while in motion. Still not sure why you can't go in reverse but I'll keep checking to see what I can find. The valves under the seat could very well be sticking and only allowing limited fluid to flow. And yes, this can can happen in three days. Daytime temperature could have played a role. We'll get this figured out for you, just don't give up hope.
Thanks. The tranny fluid appears to be fresh, nice and pink, no sign of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts