JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ladies and gentlemen I have to turn to the experts. I have had the same problem for 2 years and I thought that I fixed it, but to no avail, she rears her ugly head yet again.

it will start up and run like a charm, half way through the yard, it just suddenly dies and will not start again. If I go back in a few hours, it will start right up and then like Groundhog Day the same thing happens. I have removed the carb, cleaned everything, added dry heat to remove water if there was some. The filter is new, filled the tank with new gas. I am at a loss. I would think if it was spark related it wouldn’t start in the first place. It is almost as if the carb floods and then after it dries out a few hours it will start again. Has anyone ever seen this issue before? Any advice is appreciated. She runs great when it’s running but I am getting frustrated with her. It is a 86 B43G./ Onan 18 hp Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
BAD COIL?
VALVES TO TIGHT AND WHEN GET HOT THEY ARE TO TIGHT?
CLOGGED SCREEN IN TANK CLOGS ON LOAD? CLOG IN FUEL LINE ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KSTER thanks for your quick reply. I did read that the beginning sign of a bad coil would be a backfire. When this started happening it would give one last backfire before dying. So if it was a coil it would run and then stop? I think I might try that first. Is it difficult to replace? Thanks again for you advice. You guys have a lot more experience than me. Did you know any friends that this symptom happened to?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
or it is not charging at all..............
check wiring connections on back of main on/off switch and at plastic plugs
they become corroded and cause issues also , hopefully not a bad stator
yes it has happened to me. sometimes it takes awhile to work out the bugs on these ole girls
do you have a repair manual to refer to. if not may be a good investment.
I've stared at the pages many hours until the dimly lit bulb in my head would light up just enough to see what I was missing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I greatly appreciate all of you taking the time to try and help. I just went to JD and bought a coil. If that doesn’t work, I will check it off the list. LOL. Thanks again for your advice. I will post after I replace it.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
GOOD LUCK, EASY JOB KEEP YOUR WIRES ON THE RIGHT TERMINALS .
MAKE SURE WIRE ENDS ARE CLEAN BEFORE JUST PUTTING THEM BACK ON THE NEW COIL
DONT FORGET TO DISCONNECT BATTERY

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
AFTER WORK THAT MEANS A NICE COOL ADULT MALT BEVERAGE WILL ACCOMPANY YOU
IN MAKING THE REPAIR!!!!!!! ( WAIT THATS ME )o_O:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KSTER, my father in law is the original owner of my 318. We met this weekend for Fathers Day and he was lamenting that he let go of a Green 140. He said his wife was yelling at him for having too much “junk”. I did find out during our conversation that he has the missing air diffuser and belt covers for my tractor. I know you have a 140, maybe it was his. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, how do you fit a round peg in a square hole. The dealer part number in the system (From Cummins I believe) doesn’t fit in the bracket.....waiting to find out, but he said he thought they had one in the past and they had to modify the bracket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the bad news..... a few hundred more wasted dollars.... same problem. Guy says it could be something behind the flywheel leads to the coil? It loses spark after 5 minutes? Any thoughts? Said it would be like $800 and they have to pull the engine. Any other ideas? I am out a lot of $$ for something that won’t run

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does that tractor use a circuit breaker on the power feed? Possibly getting weak and opening up?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Stator?
Very sorry you are having so much trouble with this and it was not the coil
If you look in the manual u can test the stator before ripping everything apart.
I’m feeling your pain putting the 140 together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts