JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just looking to get some feedback from you all about things that you want to see on this site. I realize tractors are our interest, but what information, topics, or posts would you like to see? I have a few ideas that I'll post below and I'd like to hear your opinions on whether these topics would strike your interest or not, mostly before I put all of the work into getting things setup.

• Maybe some "how to" videos for prepping for paint.
  • A round fender parts diagram highlighted with green and yellow coloring to show what parts need painted which color.
  • A "how to" video on my method of how to wheels without having over-spray on the tires or scratches on the rims when finished.
  • A video on teaching fiberglass work.
  • Maybe techniques on how to produce your own wiring harness.
  • How to recondition original tires.
  • Experimenting with various cleaners and strippers to see what gives the best results.
  • Testing numerous methods for freeing up stuck motors, nuts and bolts, or other items that seem to be stuck.
  • A video showing how to rebuild a carb, starter/generator, transmission, and hydraulic lift pump.
  • Tricks of the trade so to speak, that makes assembling or disassembling a tractor more easier.

These are just ideas that i thought of and may or may not be appealing to some of you. Won't hurt my feelings if there is no interest in some of them. If you have things that you'd like to see that I may not have touched on, please, by all means, list what you want to see and I will do everything I can to make it happen for you.

I appreciate each and everyone of you who are dedicated in making this a Great site. Thank you all for your support!!

Troy
aka: Johndeereelfman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just looking to get some feedback from you all about things that you want to see on this site. I realize tractors are our interest, but what information, topics, or posts would you like to see? I have a few ideas that I'll post below and I'd like to hear your opinions on whether these topics would strike your interest or not, mostly before I put all of the work into getting things setup.

• Maybe some "how to" videos for prepping for paint.
  • A round fender parts diagram highlighted with green and yellow coloring to show what parts need painted which color.
  • A "how to" video on my method of how to wheels without having over-spray on the tires or scratches on the rims when finished.
  • A video on teaching fiberglass work.
  • Maybe techniques on how to produce your own wiring harness.
  • How to recondition original tires.
  • Experimenting with various cleaners and strippers to see what gives the best results.
  • Testing numerous methods for freeing up stuck motors, nuts and bolts, or other items that seem to be stuck.
  • A video showing how to rebuild a carb, starter/generator, transmission, and hydraulic lift pump.
  • Tricks of the trade so to speak, that makes assembling or disassembling a tractor more easier.

These are just ideas that i thought of and may or may not be appealing to some of you. Won't hurt my feelings if there is no interest in some of them. If you have things that you'd like to see that I may not have touched on, please, by all means, list what you want to see and I will do everything I can to make it happen for you.

I appreciate each and everyone of you who are dedicated in making this a Great site. Thank you all for your support!!

Troy
aka: Johndeereelfman
I like absolutely Everything you have on your list of ideas and hope to see them all included, they'll all be excellent, very helpful information. I have three other ideas so far that I'd like to see possibly also offered:

1. How to rebuild a mower deck including recommended ways to remove and prevent future rust, rebuilding blade spindle bearings and removing and replacing the main drive pulley needle bearing.

2. A listing of what fasteners/ bolts were originally cadmium plated, zinc plated, or painted painted green or yellow if doing a detailed restoration and trying to make it as original as possible.

3. How to rebuild a variator drive assembly covering disassembly, inspection, the best type of lubricant to use, and re assembly.

This outstanding website offers a tremendous wealth of information and ideas for repairing, maintaining, and restoring John Deere lawn and garden tractors that we all so much enjoy. The fine communication and sharing of ideas among members is always a great pleasure to all. We're all greatly indebted to you for all that you do. It's all Very Much Appreicated, Thank You!

·
Registered
39 Posts
A great topic!

#1 on HD's list would be the top of my list too! I now have accumulated 3 decks for my 212. The one that I use is pretty rough with multiple stress cracks/rust holes. The shell on the deck off of the parts tractor is in better shape, but the bearing on the main pully is questionable at best (you can see the balls and a few appear to be missing). I haven't dug into it yet but I need to learn how to replace this bearing. The parts diagram I found on line appears to indicate a roll pin holding the underside of the shaft and the shaft bearing being one assembly, but it is not clear how the pully attaches...

I haven't got a good look at the 3rd deck, but it is the narrower, 2 blade size (38" maybe?). Sitting it alongside the larger 3 blade deck it looks as if the main pully is closer to the front of the tractor so I'm guessing I will need a different size drive belt for that one.

Looking forward to more great information!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to keep in mind guys, and that is, I only collect tractors made before 1974. Although most parts are still basically the same design and function, some of you may need to do a little homework for your exact models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts