JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good resource for purchasing inner tubes? I need to stock up on some but all I'm finding is China made tubes. I don't know about you guys, but I've never had any good results with the China made tubes, as eventually their seams split and leak. We have a tire store not far from here that used to carry Goodyear and Firestone brand tubes, which were made in the USA and always gave good results, but since both companies starting getting their materials from China, this tire store stopped carrying both brands. What gets me is, the store dropped both brands due to being made in China, but yet picked up another off brand company who's made in China.

I'm pretty sure it's to the point of all tire companies being made in China and USA quality is pretty much gone, but just looking for suggestions on what brands you guys have had good luck with. I'm off to Tractor Supply here in a few minutes to see what they have and then to a well known hardware store in the next town over to checkout their inventory. I'm confident that I won't find anything made in USA but I need tubes for this 60 and want to get it rolling again today.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw the slime brand tubes at Tractor Supply. Do you have to fill them with slime in order to get good results? I should have read the box. I'm only judging the tube from what the picture on the box showed, but it seemed like you filled the tube with green slime instead of air, making it leak proof if punctured? Maybe I'm wrong?

Reactions: Kster526 and Chaser

Registered
Anyone have a good resource for purchasing inner tubes? I need to stock up on some but all I'm finding is China made tubes. I don't know about you guys, but I've never had any good results with the China made tubes, as eventually their seams split and leak. We have a tire store not far from here that used to carry Goodyear and Firestone brand tubes, which were made in the USA and always gave good results, but since both companies starting getting their materials from China, this tire store stopped carrying both brands. What gets me is, the store dropped both brands due to being made in China, but yet picked up another off brand company who's made in China.

I'm pretty sure it's to the point of all tire companies being made in China and USA quality is pretty much gone, but just looking for suggestions on what brands you guys have had good luck with. I'm off to Tractor Supply here in a few minutes to see what they have and then to a well known hardware store in the next town over to checkout their inventory. I'm confident that I won't find anything made in USA but I need tubes for this 60 and want to get it rolling again today.
On the subject of inner tubes, I'll be mounting new Carlisle Turf Saver tires on my 110 RF later on during my restoration which are stated as tubeless so I'm assuming I won't need tubes. Has anyone had any problems running new tires without tubes? After the old Firestones were removed, the insides of the rims were in remarkably nice condition, not rusty. I'll be repainting my rims before my new tires are mounted. The old Firestones were holding air ok before I removed them but were pretty worn, especially the front tread. I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as the bead area around both edges of the rims are good and smooth and without pitting, they should hold air just fine. I'm reusing the original tires on this 60 which have some dry checking, so that's why I'm using tubes.

Registered
As long as the bead area around both edges of the rims are good and smooth and without pitting, they should hold air just fine. I'm reusing the original tires on this 60 which have some dry checking, so that's why I'm using tubes.
Thanks, it sounds like I should be fine without tubes since the insides of the rims are good and smooth and without any significant pitting, I'll make sure to double check though before having the tires mounted.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the Tractor Supply brand and to my surprise, they are actually pretty thick tubes. Most China made tubes are very thin. The only thing I really don't care for is the bent stems for the front wheels. Just a little too close for getting the air chuck on.

Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Hood Tire

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent $23.85 each on (2) 23x8.50/9.50/10.50-12 tubes this morning at Tractor Supply. Came home and got the first rear tire mounted and went to air up the tube only to find out that the core is set so deep that my air chuck won't release air. I backed the core out a little and filled the tire. About 4" of bead on the backside of the rim wasn't sliding out the whole way against the rim so I did the Nascar trick by letting it set in the hot sun. Two hours later, the bead was set however the tube is flat and the valve stem slipped back inside the wheel.

Breaking the bead and removing half the tire to fix the tube can wait until another day!! Too mad to do it all over again now and if I scratch the rim it will probably set me off enough to throw the wheel right in the trash!!! 馃が馃槧馃槨

1 - 13 of 13 Posts