• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

In serious need of help.

Discussion in 'JD Lawn & Garden Tractor Forum' started by Tyler, May 7, 2018.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Hey everyone new to this website this was my last resort I have a 1973 John Deere 112 flat fender 263579 serial number. My belt tensioner spring broke and had to get a new one I put that one on and every time I push my clutch in the belt tensioner pulley hits my fender underneath I went to my manual like always and re-adjusted my variator and still does not fix the problem. I re-adjusted my variator 2 other times from putting new belts on an worked fine the belt I have on now is 4 months old if that when I pull my variator back all the way to the first click and push my clutch in my clutch does not go to the floor like it should it stops an the idler pulley hits my fender. I’m so lost now laid under the tractor for hours on end messing with it an everything looks right maybe I hooked the spring up wrong does anyone no what could be wrong?

Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  2. ckjakline

ckjakline Well-Known Member

My 1970 112 does that once and a while. i'm hopefully going to look into that this week sometime. If i can figure it out i'll let you know what i find.

Chaser, Tyler and Kster526 like this.

3. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Sounds like the belt has possibly stretched. Was it a JD unit? Possibly the wrong belt to start with? Routing of belt correct?

Chaser likes this.
  4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Thanks ckjakline I’m still looking into it an kster526 yes belts are from John Deere same number as what the manual says and the idler pulley sits on top of the belt correct?

Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  5. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    If it’s the idler mounted to rear that lifts up when u push the clutch in yes.The idler there is spring loaded down and lifts when clutch is pushed in. Is the idler pulley loose where it attaches to the rear or were pulley mounts to the arm. I’ve had that pulley arm be way loose and that was causing me issues until I found it as the tensioner was all over the place.

Chaser likes this.
  6. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Yes my pulley was loose to and fixed it and still the same now if I can take photos an post them on here I will do so to try to show you guys what’s going on

Kster526 likes this.