JD Fanatic Forums banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

Registered
Thanks to Brian1967 for posting these pictures of his blade shoe/foot,

View attachment 11289 View attachment 11290

I was able to fab a couple for my model 42 blade that was missing them.

View attachment 11291 View attachment 11292

Primed, View attachment 11293

Painted, View attachment 11294

And installed. View attachment 11295

They are the only shiny part on the blade!!
Not perfect but close enough. 馃槈
Nice work, these should work great on your blade, time well spent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well I removed the steering gearbox a week or so ago. Disassembled and cleaned it, did a little sanding on the column and painted it. I snuck out to the barn today and reassembled and reinstalled it into the 110. I鈥檝e got the tie rod ends snugged up and adjusted the toe up front. I managed to get about 99% of the slop out of the steering. There鈥檚 one spot when steering to the left that is a little snug, not hard or tight, just not as free as the rest of the steering motion. Not sure why.
I did not buy the鈥漸pgrade鈥 kit from eBay, maybe at another time.

Green Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas Engineering
Hand tool Wrench Tool Metalworking hand tool Musical instrument
Blue Black Art Wall Line
Hand tool Household hardware Tool Wrench Metalworking hand tool
Body jewelry Jewellery Circle Button Gas

Wood Line Wood stain Trunk Freezing
Wood Sports equipment Wood stain Natural material Hardwood
Wood Cylinder Red Material property Stairs
Wood Gas Tints and shades Building material Cylinder
Green Motor vehicle Propeller Propeller Fender

I even replaced the old duct tape that was under the column strap/bracket with new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So... I own 2 model 42 blades, but that is a story for another time. I have been tinkering with them on and off for the past few weeks, in between working on the 鈥渉oney must do鈥 list for our daughters graduation open house. I have gotten all of the joints and pivot points moving freely by hand now, but I needed 5 of the brass bushings for the lift arms which are NLA. My local Deere dealer had none but gave me phone numbers to 5 or 6 dealers across the country that showed some in stock. So I started calling, the first 3 dealers that I called had 1 or 2 each. The 4th dealer much to my surprise, had 5, exactly the number that I needed. So... for $10.16 I got 5 bushings mailed to me from Iowa. 馃榿
They come in packages of 2, so I received 2 unopened packs and 1 opened pack with a single bushing in it.
Light Rectangle Font Gas Metal
Font Gas Rectangle Transparency Household hardware

Two of the packages are just a printed piece of paper stapled in the plastic bag. I believe these have been laying on a shelf since the 60s. The other package is printed on the plastic bag so I鈥檓 thinking it鈥檚 probably from the 70s??
Either way, I think the packages are cool, notice they all have the 4 legged deer, so I will open them neatly and probably keep the packages.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well I haven鈥檛 touched the 110 in a couple of months, but today when I got home from work while letting the grass dry before mowing, I decided to drop the transaxle to replace the brake shaft seal. I had purchased one from the local dealer 4 or 5 months ago. The seal that they sold to me is a AR90860 and that is what the parts diagram shows it to be, however, it is not. The shaft on the tractor is 1鈥 and the new seal is 3/4鈥 ID. 馃
Anyone have some words of wisdom??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I don鈥檛 know Chaser. I know mine is a 1鈥 or within thousandths and the new one is 3/4鈥. I was hoping someone would have been down this road already and would have the info that I need.

Administrator
I have a 3 speed and 4 speed transmission out in the garage on the rack. I'll try and take a few minutes to compare them both sometime over the weekend for you. I don't remember them being two different sizes though.

Administrator
According to my parts catalog, both style transmissions take the same brake drum oil seal. The part number is M 40676 and is listed as a 1-1/2" O.D. oil seal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Well elfman鈥檚 part number is correct. I purchased one from my dealer and proceeded to install. I have a socket that fits nicely over the shaft and is the perfect diameter for the seal, however, it is just a bit short and bottoms out on the shaft right when it contacts the seal. So I thought 鈥淚 will just carefully tap the seal in with a fat punch.鈥 That seal is a very tight fit and I managed to ruin it. 馃槨
So back to the dealer I will go. 馃様

Administrator
Sounds like you need a deep socket my friend. 馃榿

61 - 80 of 105 Posts