JD Fanatic Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What group size battery do these 110s use? They use the top post batteries that require a bolt to fasten the cables?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I made a dumb mistake! I was disassembling the carburetor for a good cleaning and rebuild, I removed one of the butterflies and was removing the other when I broke the tiny screw off. 😔 I don’t see anyway of removing that broken screw.
Ideas?
Start shopping for a replacement carb?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, I’ve spent the last 1/2 hr or so looking at replacement carburetors. Isavetractors has a replacement for $59.99, no intake or air cleaner gaskets.
eBay has a couple used originals that need rebuilt, 1 was $40 the other was $60ish. eBay also has China replacement carbs. Anywhere from $15 - $30 depending on the seller.
As I am looking at these eBay carbs I am thinking “you know, these carbs look real familiar.” So I go back to isavetractors and wouldn’t you know, same exact Chinese carb. Only differences that I see are the eBay/China carbs come with the 2 gaskets that are extra thru isavetractors, and isavetractors gives you the proper choke shaft. All of the carbs that I looked at (except the 2 originals on eBay) would need the bolt holes threaded for the air cleaner.
The way I see it, return the unopened carb kit that I purchased locally for $11.00, and order a Chinese replacement from eBay, when it arrives tap the 2 holes and install.

Anyone have experience with the eBay carbs?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice looking 110 you saved. Post some pictures of that elcamino sometime. we all like car pictures also. Steiner tractor parts has new steering wheels if you can't find a good used one.The guy i got my one 64 110 put one of the cheap carbs and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I’ve had those screws break off it’s tedious but you can get them out.
l’ve found walking away when frustrated helps a lot.
Good luck on your search

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I CANNOT STOP! Taking off parts that is. My plan was to clean it up, degrease it, get it running and use it some this summer. And if nothing else as issues (trans axle) then maybe start a restoration. Every time I tinker with it I see some grime down in there somewhere and think “ well if I remove this I can clean that”. And then I see more filth and think “ I can clean that if I take this off”. It’s never ending!
Today I found that it needs a new flywheel belt.

7690FE6C-9C93-426B-B6A6-C055469179BB.jpeg

Also found an old critter nest.

922AAEF5-47AE-40EC-89E7-2D1B1013007F.jpeg

Discovered that the variator needs adjustment. It only moves the linkage and pulley about 3/4” at one end of the lever stroke.
Also discovered movement in the steering gear box. I took a 13 second video of it but cannot figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Nice looking 110 that you saved. Post some pictures of that El Camino sometime. we all like car pictures also. Steiner tractor parts has new steering wheels if you can't find a good used one.The guy i got my one 64 110 put one of the cheap carbs and it seems to be fine.
Thank you.
Here are a couple pictures.

BCD93948-A114-41F0-9A3D-35F57848140D.jpeg

89D5EE05-73AF-44F0-A7E5-E3D4832A8507.jpeg

It is a true SuperSport BB 402 car. However is sports a 454. It’s not a showpiece and I haven’t done much to it in the last 10 years other than drive it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Driving it is more fun then looking at it, especially when I have a passenger who has never ridden in it before!! 😃😉
It only sees 100 miles or so a year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve been looking for a while now, and ended up with this 1966 110.
It’s been parked in a hay barn for 10 years or so. Hasn’t ran since it was parked. The hood is not original and has previously been repaired, it needs a better repair. The steering wheel is 80s vintage and needs to go. Appears to be a good solid tractor that is only missing the pto cover.
Now I’m on the hunt for a good round fender steering wheel, pto cover and possibly a better hood.
A few mandatory pictures.

When we got home.
View attachment 11149

Unloaded and in the barn.

View attachment 11150

View attachment 11151

Gonna get a carb kit, plug, plug wire, points and condenser. Change the oil, clean the fuel tank and sediment bowl, hook up a battery and see what happens.
Any suggestions before I turn the ignition?
That mower deck is awesome. I was looking an ebay and there's one for sale right now that is in extremely bad shape! That's great that you found a 110 that had a deck with it.

One thing I did with my throttle and choke cables is pull them out, disassemble them, and clean them up (I used a very fine sandpaper). When I reassembled them I sprayed the heck out of them with WD-40. Worked great and they are smooth now, but it was hard to get the wire back into the tube.

Also, HAPCO sells pretty good reproduction steering wheels, which is where I got mine from. They might be a little expensive though.

·
Super Moderator
986 Posts
Put some apple cider vinegar in the tank, full to the top, straight without water. Let it set for two days, dump it out, and refill the tank again. Let the second batch set for three days and then dump. Wash out the tank really well then use air to dry it out. Tank will come out looking as good as new.

·
Super Moderator
986 Posts
Wrap your choke and throttle cables around inside a bucket and cover them with Marvel Mystery Oil. Cables should start freeing up within a matter of days. Once the cable slides inside the housing, pull the cable out and rub it down good with steel wool. Re-insert the cable back into the housing while applying Vaseline to help keep it lubed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Very nice looking!
Thank you Chaser!

Put some apple cider vinegar in the tank, full to the top, straight without water. Let it set for two days, dump it out, and refill the tank again. Let the second batch set for three days and then dump. Wash out the tank really well then use air to dry it out. Tank will come out looking as good as new.
Thank you jdelfman, The tank has been full of straight white vinegar for a couple days. I’ve been shaking it 2-3 times a day. I don’t know if white will work the same as apple cider vinegar. Maybe after I dump this I will put some cider vinegar in it.

Wrap your choke and throttle cables around inside a bucket and cover them with Marvel Mystery Oil. Cables should start freeing up within a matter of days. Once the cable slides inside the housing, pull the cable out and rub it down good with steel wool. Re-insert the cable back into the housing while applying Vaseline to help keep it lubed.
Thank you again, my choke cable works freely. I did remove the throttle cable yesterday, coiled it in the bottom of a pan and sprayed an entire can of Liquid Wrench in there. It was just enough to cover the cable.
You must straighten the kinks in the end of the wire in order to pull it out?
JD has the throttle cable mounted straight up where junk can get down in it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That mower deck is awesome. I was looking an ebay and there's one for sale right now that is in extremely bad shape! That's great that you found a 110 that had a deck with it.

One thing I did with my throttle and choke cables is pull them out, disassemble them, and clean them up (I used a very fine sandpaper). When I reassembled them I sprayed the heck out of them with WD-40. Worked great and they are smooth now, but it was hard to get the wire back into the tube.

Also, HAPCO sells pretty good reproduction steering wheels, which is where I got mine from. They might be a little expensive though.
Thanks for the tips Brian!
Someday I will restore the mower deck just for show. I won‘t ever mow with it. I have a 60” Ztrak for mowing.
I am working on the throttle cable now, I have it soaking in Liquid Wrench. Once I can get the wire moving then I will see about pulling it out.
I have seen those steering wheels at Hapco and a few other places. Gonna have to get one because that 80s vintage wheel looks horrible on there!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Help with a part number please.
My axle seals are dry but the seal around the shaft that has the parking brake on it has been leaking.
I cannot find it on the parts diagram. I don’t see the park brake shaft or assembly at all. ???

21 - 40 of 63 Posts