JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be asking a lot of questions over the next few months(or longer) so bare with me. What is the best method for removing the old hood decals? I have most of it sanded and ready to try repair a chip and crack on the front edge. Just have found an easy way the get the decals off. Tried sanding but a new set was laid over the originals.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
A heat gun will loosen them up.I always remove before and sanding is done. Sanding increases the difficulty in removing them. Then I will use a rag and lacquer thinner which will loosen it up and then you can lightly scrape off the remaining glue with a razor blade scraper (careful not to gouge into the fiberglass take your time). Then continue to wipe over until gone.   WD-40 works good also but creates fish eyes in the paint so you may want to stay away from that. Good luck, if you get a chance keep us posted with some pics of the progress.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Brake cleaner will also loosen the decals. As Kyle said, once the decals are soft, I use a razor blade window scraper to peel them off.  When the decals are completely removed, make sure you roughen up the areas real good with sandpaper so that you remove all residue from the fiberglass before painting. 

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Ah, fiberglass work. Good Luck to you my Friend! Just be sure to wear long sleeves or cover your arms with lots of baby powder. It will help with keeping the fiberglass from getting into your pores! ;)  

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Good luck , take your time. It looks worse than it is as you have some there to start with. If it were a hole thru and thru it would be worse. Are you using resin or tiger hair for the repair?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I need to repair my hood as well. Are there any recommendations on what to use? I have material missing out on the end of my hood, basically through holes. Trying not to thread jack!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well first attempt so so. I won't say a complete failure but it was not a success either. I am learning this all on the fly, most of which I have never attempted. I keep on giving it my best. I just want to get it back running and keep it in the family. Lots of good memories with this 110.

image.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts