• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

Hello, question about round fender

Discussion in 'JD Lawn & Garden Tractor Forum' started by pearljam724, Jan 5, 2018.

1. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Hello, this is my first thread. I obtained a pretty nice 65 John Deere 110 round fender past Monday. Does anyone know if the round fenders and flat fenders share the same belts ? I assume all mechanical parts are the same. Am I correct ? Also what easily obtainable modern oil is recommended for a geared transmission ? Anyone have a picture of the PTO belt routing ? I have a service manual.

Kster526, Chaser and truck21 like this.
  2. truck21

truck21 Moderator Staff Member

Manheim Pa
    Welcome to the site. I don't know much about the round fender tractors. However we do have a round fender expert on staff. I'm sure as soon as he has a chance to check in he will be more then willing to help you out.

johndeereelfman, Kster526 and Chaser like this.

3. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Kster526, truck21 and Chaser like this.
  4. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Thank you, for the greeting truck21.

Kster526, truck21 and Chaser like this.
  5. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    5FE2553D-17C4-4C3D-B7DA-DE9FDCB56A9E.jpeg Welcome to the sight nice to have you with us here.
    Elfman has a belt reference guide on the sight that is very well done and a big help.
    I believe the secondary drive belt may be the same but the primary is different.
    I use an 80-90 gear oil and SAE 30 oil in.
    Sorry that’s the best pic I have of the pto belt routing. If all else fails Google has been a big help in many cases for me.
    Hopefully the Elfman can help with any questions you have, again welcome to the sight.
    The most important thing here is nothing exists without pictures of your project. We love pictures

johndeereelfman, Chaser and truck21 like this.
  6. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

Hello, and as said by the other members, Welcome to the site.

As for your questions. The belts that you want for your tractor are as follows:
    Primary belt = M40015
    Secondary belt = M42250

Only the Secondary belt is shared by both the round fender and flat fender tractors. Not the primary belt, as the flat fender tractor is a longer frame body and requires a longer belt.

Mechanically, both tractors used the same technique and idea, however they don't use all of the same parts. The parts are slightly different on the flat fender tractors compared to the round fender tractors.

For oil, I use standard 30 weight oil in my engines, and like Kyle, I use 80-90 gear oil in the tranny.

DSCN4903.JPG

And for the PTO belt routing, Kyle gave you the best picture. The only difference between his and yours is, his is mounted on a 112 with the double belts, and yours will be on a 110 with the single belt. Other than the quantity of belts, everything is the same.

7. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Much appreciated responses. All very helpful detailed information. This is all I have for now. Everything is there . But, the original steering wheel, one deck wheel and its missing one of the PTO belts to engage the deck. Based on the part numbers just given to me in this thread. Im not sure which belt number I need ? This was bringing it home during very bad weather conditions. It was a real feat to get it back home. I drove 555 miles that took 15.5 hours due to weather, mechanical issues, obstacles, etc. I ll add better pics once the weather eventually warms up here. Im sure I ll have quite a few more questions too. Thanks a lot.

54E147CA-32E6-48A3-B4D2-91324838D53F.jpeg 0D1FA938-C0E7-43F4-B4EB-C6824F955D1A.jpeg 5337E9E5-289E-437E-A95A-0D1F6A153D50.jpeg 6A297A9E-5F4A-4F82-B8E2-BBD18F81A030.jpeg 30D8EDF8-673C-46C8-A3DE-B11BBB44A4EF.jpeg 45D05849-C215-4A5F-A429-A35FDCE5B344.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
    KAJD23, truck21, Kster526 and 2 others like this.
  8. Chaser

Chaser Well-Known Member

That's dedication right there! Looks like a good project though, good stuff.
    And welcome aboard.

truck21 and Kster526 like this.
  9. johndeereelfman

I agree with Chaser, very nice project indeed. Congrats!

You would be correct with your thinking. The steering wheel is not original, however an original reproduction is obtainable through an online company called Hapco Parts. I believe the steering wheels run around $60.00 and the center caps around $35.00, but don't hold me to that.

The front tires are original however the rear tires are not. Not sure if that matters to you or not, but wanted to point that out to you just in case you are wanting to keep the tractor looking as authentic as possible.

The headlights are original factory options that were available back then, although they aren't mounted on the sides of the hood according to the mounting instructions. It appears as though you didn't get the left rear tail light, as I don't see it mounted on the fender. Are there holes drilled in the fender as if a tail light might have been mounted at one time?

As for the belts, I would replace both at the same time if I were you. One belt goes from the engine drive pulley to the variator pulley, while the other belt goes from the variator pulley back to the transmission drive pulley. Your Service Manual should give you step-by-step instructions and details on how to replace the belts as well as how to adjust the variator so that you get full range of motion between each setting.

The PTO belt that you said is missing, is still obtainable through your local John Deere dealership, and the missing mower deck wheel can be purchased through Hapco when you order your steering wheel.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask away!

10. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    That’s further than I’d drive for one unless of course it was a 1963 RF.
    Thanks for pics and story.
    What part of the country do you hail from?

KAJD23, truck21 and Chaser like this.
  11. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Im from southwestern pa. About 45 miles south of Pittsburgh. No, the fender never had a hole drilled for a tail light. I have no interests in modifying or changing anything. Nor do I care about everything being spot on perfect to being original. Its close enough for me. But, i am going to get an original steering wheel for it. I think the original steering wheels on old tractors is a must. Owning a time capsule such as these. With a steering wheel that doesnt fit that era ( JD 265) just doesnt look and emotionally feel right. Id like to get AG tires for it as well. And a seat cushion, so its rideable. Lol !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  12. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Could someone be so kind to post a picture of an original gas tank lid/cap and where the two wires from the pto switch what they connect to ? My wires are missing. I realize how they connect to the switch. But, have no idea what they connect to on the other end. A picture would be great.

Kster526, Chaser and truck21 like this.
  13. Kster526

Oley, Pa
    9B51DB03-B90C-47DD-9D22-FF3E0287A544.jpeg The wires connect to the safety switch . The safety switch has an arm that is pushed down when the pto is engaged. It will not shut off the tractor only keep it from restarting with the PTO engaged. The two wires in the question have blue bullet type connectors in the pic. If you google JD round fender wiring diagram it may help. If you cannot find it this weekend I can take a pic of the manual for you .
    You can just connect them together to get it to start also if that’s an issue.

KAJD23, Chaser and truck21 like this.
  14. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

Thank you. But, you’re picturing the wrong end of the wires. I understand what that switch does. But, thank you. I found a diagram on Google and understand where the wires go now. The neutral safety switch must have went bad previously and someone must have bypassed it so it would start. Will the Pto only engage if the neutral safety switch is replaced ? I found that Napa thread for obtaining a cheaper neutral switch on My Tractor Forum. I was at autozone today and they sell a very similiar switch that is used for push button ignition starting for 4 bucks. It looks exactly like the one used in that Napa thread. Im thinking thats what that person used. Am I right, in thinking that switch will work ? Also, is there a cheaper alternative to the pto switch that Kster526 posted ? If that switch goes bad, will it also keep the tractor from starting like the neautral switch being bad ? You guys are a very helpful bunch and I appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    KAJD23, Chaser and truck21 like this.
  15. johndeereelfman

The PTO safety switch can be bypassed so that it's not used at all, however due to Safety reasons, I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT!!!!!! A simple jumper or loop wire can be plugged into the ends of your main wire leads. NOTE: If this procedure is done and the safety switch is bypassed, the tractor will be able to be started while the mower deck drive is engaged.

The neutral start switch, if bypassed, will allow the tractor to be started while in any gear. Just pointing that out too!

Here is about the only picture I have of an original gas tank cap:
    DSCN5707.JPG

Kster526, KAJD23 and truck21 like this.
  16. pearljam724

pearljam724 Member

2DB9A953-49C8-434A-BD08-A57044E70C77.jpeg When Googled. There are several variations of gas tank lids. Im sure, due to originals being lost. I was just wondering what the original cap looked like ? I assumed, this one might have been an original ? Mine, doesnt look like either, lol !

Kster526 and truck21 like this.
  17. johndeereelfman

No, that cap is not original. The picture that I posted of mine is original. The gas tank cap that is shown in Kyle's picture is actually a gauge that could be bought extra as an accessory. If you go on eBay and do a search for 110 gas gauge, you should find many. All the same, but prices vary between sellers. I'm pretty sure you can still get the gauges through John Deere.

If you remove your gas tank and empty it, take it to your local small engine shop or even another tractor brand manufacturer. They should be able to get you one that is identical to mine as this cap was used on various other equipment.