JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just beginning a full restoration of my 1965 JD 110 Round Fender with my dad and son. Dad bought it many years ago and I grew up mowing the family yard in RI with it. I went off to college and military career, then moved it (and parents) to GA, now finally getting back to it so my son can mow my grass with it too. Good project for three generations to tackle together! Almost fully dissassembled, ordering some parts, making plan for full mechanical checkup &/or overhaul (minus mower deck for now - separate project) to try to get it back together by Memorial Day. Thoughts, comments, hints, cautions....all welcomed!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Welcome aboard glad your here.
What part of Georgia do you hail from?
Nice hearing about a family project. Grew up with my pop doing body work in the garage at that time I didnt appreciate it but I do now . It means everything. Good luck with that project.
One thing is we love pictures of your project.
There are a lot of projects posted that may help you if you get stuck plus we have The Elfman who is a RF guru.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the site. Sounds like a good family project. What branch of the military? There's a few round fender SME's on here. Should be able to help you out with any questions.
Yes, making memories all working together on the project. 26 years Army, retiring soon. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as we progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard glad your here.
What part of Georgia do you hail from?
Nice hearing about a family project. Grew up with my pop doing body work in the garage at that time I didnt appreciate it but I do now . It means everything. Good luck with that project.
One thing is we love pictures of your project.
There are a lot of projects posted that may help you if you get stuck plus we have The Elfman who is a RF guru.
I'm originally from RI, but have spent most of my Army career in GA. Wife is from Americus, and we live in Athens now. I also grew up working with my dad on ALL projects around cars, house, yard, etc, so just continuing the tradition/training now with my son. Pictures will follow soon.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Wife has family in Fayetteville, Ga.We love it there when we visit. Certainly enjoy the warmer weather there although this Winter hasn’t been so nice for you all down there.
A much more relaxed environment down there compared to us here in Pa. We’ve considered relocating many times.
Again thank you for your service and welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to have you with and a big WELCOME our Friend! Ask all the questions you need to as we'll get them answered one way or another.
OK, a couple quick questions to start.......are there different size rims (f/r) for the AG tires versus the turf? I have the turf rims and tires already set up, but would like to have the second set for AG look/work along with my rear wheel weights. So wondering if it's the same size rims or am I looking for another (rarer) size.
Another question: we've owned the tractor for many years and I safely assume it has the original dash and decal on it for 1965, however, I see some decal kits for 1965 restoration projects and seen some with "added" graphic and words "Variable Speed". Now my tractor had the dash decal without this and so I'm wondering if that was added in '66+ or what? My 1965 does have the variator so it seems to make sense to have that on the dash decal, and not that I'm trying to make it 110% original specs, but curiosity is getting the best of me. I've attached some pics too for the sake of these questions and conversation. - Thanks!
Dash.JPG
Decal Kit.JPG
L Side Disassembly.JPG
R Side Disassembly.JPG

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
9575C7C9-35CA-4EC9-B27C-74C8D88450A6.jpeg
Double check HAPCO for the dash/sticker set it should not have the variable speed on the dash panel. I did look and if you go to the 110 section it was there that way.
Different rim sizes yes there are some but if you want ag tires it all depends on what size tire you want to use as opposed to what size rim you want to use. Using ag or turf it’s preference on tire size that’ll dictate rim size. Original rear 6 inch wide require a 6-12 ag/paddle.
Miller Tire has info on there website that helps.
Back spacing on rims varies.
I’ve squeezed a 24x12x12 under the rear of a round fender.
Looks like your off and running on your restoration. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts