JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Looking good Duane. Are you using rattle cans or a spray gun? 

Just take your time, and if you get frustrated, walk away from it. Oh, and don't get excited and start pushing yourself to get it done. Enjoy the restoration. Pushing yourself to get it done, only causes rushing, a poor paint job, and an attitude of never finishing it or doing another. 

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just using rattle cans to paint. I have limited space and 2 small kids running around so nothing is going to happen in a hurry for me. I just want to get the frame and transaxle back together so I can get it in the garage, then on to the small stuff. Fenders, footrest, hood supports, grill, seat and spring, gas tank and now wheels are done.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Doing some nice work Duane, I just said the same thing to another new member who is getting ready to do a restoration."Take your time " Elfman and the gang here are very good source of inspiration and knowledge.  

The painting and putting things together is very rewarding as the accomplishment and pride you feel make it all worth while.

Keep up the good work I cannot wait to see more pics of your work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Frame is finished as of today. I was going to reinstall the the transaxle tomorrow but I noticed a leak that wasn't there before. This tractor sat partially disassembled for 10 years in my dads basement and didn't leak a drop. Fluid is leaking around the drain plug. Could this be from being flipped around and laying in different positions while it was sandblasted and waiting for paint. After I get it reinstalled and I drain all the old fluid is there anything I can use on the threads to maybe stop the leak.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
I wrap my threads with white thread tape, just like the plumbers use. Never had issues after that. 

Just a suggestion if you want one. After the transmission is installed, and you have the gear oil drained out, I use a turkey baster to refill the tranny. Takes some time, but sure beats having to remove the tranny again to do it. You find turkey basters at your local grocery store, and they are inexpensive. Couple bucks maybe. 

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Here is the type of gear oil that I use Duane. You can pick it up at any Advanced Auto or NAPA retailer.

DSCN4903 (1).JPG
DSCN4904 (1).JPG

As for the GT-2 wheel package, your tractor was indeed released from the factory with the 4.00/4.80-8 front tires and 6-12 rear tires, however the dealership may have swapped out the narrow wheels to another customer before your family member bought the tractor. Dealership salesman would do these kinds of things, just to make sure they complete the sale and make the customer happy. Good luck on finding a set of wheels, as they are getting harder and harder to find these days!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts