JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, name is Jordan. Grew up around grandads farm, ran some bigger tractors, 4230, 2630 series, but now I'm a mechanical engineer in Knoxville. I love to tinker and thought about buying a riding lawnmower for my yard since I don't have a lot of time to mow these days. Came across this on Craigslist. I think I might purchase if I can talk him down some. Would love to semi restore and use it to mow my lawn. Any thoughts? I know that muffler can't be factory lol. 

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/5589237924.html

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
I just did a quick John Deere search on Knoxville Craigslist, and only found one flat fender 110. After reading the add, I see that the seller claims that the tractor was bought new by his pawpaw in 1970. I find that hard to believe as the tractor is a 1973 or 1974 model year. Just throwing that out there for you to consider. 

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did a quick John Deere search on Knoxville Craigslist, and only found one flat fender 110. After reading the add, I see that the seller claims that the tractor was bought new by his pawpaw in 1970. I find that hard to believe as the tractor is a 1973 or 1974 model year. Just throwing that out there for you to consider. 
Is that less desirable being a later model? Obviously it's not a round fender. I just like the idea of an older higher quality JD for a mower around the house vs a new cheap MTD with a Briggs with some store name on it. Parts relatively easy to find? Like I said, main function would be to mow, possibly restore part of it. 

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Is that less desirable being a later model? Obviously it's not a round fender. I just like the idea of an older higher quality JD for a mower around the house vs a new cheap MTD with a Briggs with some store name on it. Parts relatively easy to find? Like I said, main function would be to mow, possibly restore part of it. 
 No, not less desirable, just being straight up with you and maybe giving you an excuse for getting it cheaper. 

Totally agree with you on the cheap box store tractors. Good for four to five years, then you sit them along the curb for the garbage man to pick up and take away. 

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Not that this one is my budget, but someone here might want it:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/5668284974.html

Another model not far away:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/5671016422.html
The first listing is a 1966 110 round fender, and in my opinion, the seller is asking a little too much even if it is a package deal. 

The second listing is a 111 lawn tractor. These are too new for me to make comments on, as I'm not familiar with them at all. However, for $130.00, it should make someone out there happy. 

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of starting at 300 cash. What size deck is it? I am finding it's the 8 HP motor?
$300.00 is even better. Hope it works out for you. As for the deck, it should be a 39" deck, and the horse power should be 10 horse. 
You are the man when it comes to knowledge about these mowers! I think I'll run with the first 110. I might go try and look at it and maybe buy it tomorrow.

This reminds me of when I was a kid and mowed for my grandad on his JD 400 with a 60 inch deck. Thing was a best. Sadly he has sold it since he has a zero turn now.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
It's a 1967 110, not a 1956. Doesn't look like it's the greatest paint finish, so if you want showroom quality, you will be spending about the same amount as the tractor cost or more to restore it all over again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a 1967 110, not a 1956. Doesn't look like it's the greatest paint finish, so if you want showroom quality, you will be spending about the same amount as the tractor cost or more to restore it all over again.
I think I like the first one I found still the best. I like the flat fenders since it reminds me of the 400 I used to run all the time. Going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully bring it home with me. I need to mow my yard, kind of holding out for this rig to do it lol. I assume the deck is sheet metal, even if it is bent in, I should be able to straighten it out for the most part.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I bought it. Guy even delivered it for me on a trailer since I didn't have ramps to get it in my pickup truck. I actually mowed the grass with it today after I bought a new battery for it. Motor runs great. No smoking. It does have some rigging done to it,never seen conduit as exhaust piping! I did have to get creative and make a linkage for the pto lever. They had welded one, but it was a mess. I went and bought a piece of all thread and made my own and adjusted it all properly (it desperately needed it). The PTO was clutch was stuck engaged. Very easy to work on. I'm pleased.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pics. Needs a little TLC, but nothing bad. Going to but new primary and secondary belts on it this weekend.  I need to repair the front of the hood as well. I had to order a new linkage for the PTO clutch, and I'm going to replace the muffler somehow. The one on it know is driving me crazy sticking out like that.......

1 - 20 of 70 Posts