JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so life took an unexpected turn today. I was prepping my 65 Wheel Horse plowing tractor for winter duty today, because we are supposed to get snow this week. I was running it to warm the engine for an oil change and had to run in the house for a minute. Came out, it was not running, engine has no compression.

By coincidence I have a 66 JD 110 in the garage. Both have the K181S engine, and the JD's engine has compression. I know that Kholer built slightly different versions of these engines for the various manufacturers, and that one of the main differences was crank diameters.

Anyway, the spec label on the JD is worn, and the engine spec number is completely unreadable. Does anyone here know what it SHOULD be for a 66 110? I'm hoping I can get away with throwing the JD's engine in the WH for a little bit while I do some open heart surgery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, so life took an unexpected turn today. I was prepping my 65 Wheel Horse plowing tractor for winter duty today, because we are supposed to get snow this week. I was running it to warm the engine for an oil change and had to run in the house for a minute. Came out, it was not running, engine has no compression.

By coincidence I have a 66 JD 110 in the garage. Both have the K181S engine, and the JD's engine has compression. I know that Kholer built slightly different versions of these engines for the various manufacturers, and that one of the main differences was crank diameters.

Anyway, the spec label on the JD is worn, and the engine spec number is completely unreadable. Does anyone here know what it SHOULD be for a 66 110? I'm hoping I can get away with throwing the JD's engine in the WH for a little bit while I do some open heart surgery.[/QUOTE

I have a '66 110 with the Kohler K181S and the spec number on mine is 30198D. I don't know what part of the production run mine was built in whether the early, mid, or later portion though and if the spec numbers changed accordingly. Maybe some of our other members can help with more info. My engine had low compression due to a burned exhaust valve in my case. Other things can of course cause low compression as well. I hope the info helps, good luck and keep us posted on how things go with your rebuild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have two (2) 1966 110H tractors. The engine spec is 30270D on both. Both have hydraulic lift. My guess is the spec is related to trim for various tractor configurations/brands. But again just a SWAG. The Kohler SM states the "270D" identifies the basic engine variation. Again, a SWAG the "D" might signify Deere.
I would compare the two (2) engines side by side and go from there. Good luck and report back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It broke the rod.

I'm going to try putting the JD engine in for now this afternoon. If it works, at the very least I'll get an idea of the condition of that engine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I don't believe there was any difference on crank diameter, I believe the main difference was in the oil pan and mounting bolt holes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe there was any difference on crank diameter, I believe the main difference was in the oil pan and mounting bolt holes.
Well, this is good if true. If the oil pan mounting is off I can swap pans and seal it up with RTV for now.

The number off the engine that needs rebuilt is 30108A, FWIW.

I did not spend my time wisely today. I took the engine out of the WH and tore it apart instead of trying to swap the JD engine in. I'm just thinking, if my other WH and my walk-behind blower can get me through this first storm maybe I can have the engine rebuilt and in before not having the 855 becomes an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, in the short term this plan is off the table.

The set screw in the crank pulley of the JD engine is very very stuck.

I did also notice that the oil pans are different. I believe the mounting bolt pattern is the same, or very close, but the holes in the JD pan are threaded and bolts come up from the bottom. The WH pan is not threaded and the engine bolts down with locking nuts under the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts