JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a 1966 110h a few years ago to a good friend of mine who wanted to give it to his son as a Christmas present. About 6 months after owning the tractor, he had the motor rebuilt. Needless to say, he got the motor back but never installed it back in the tractor. Instead, he tore the rest of the tractor apart with intentions to restore it.

After having all of the parts either sandblasted or acid soaked he started painting but quickly got overwhelmed. After giving up, he called me and asked if I'd be willing to restore it for him. After getting off the phone with him I went to dinner with the family and after returning home, this is what I found in my backyard.

So I drew up a contract, received the down payment and told him I will get it back to him when it's finished which might take a while since restoring tractors is my hobby and not my full-time job. This was August 2015.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This first thing I started on was the motor. Since it's been rebuilt, I don't have to worry about the internals and can just start taping off and painting.

I elected to not use primer but instead, used high heat black. I found in the past that when I used standard primer before painting, the finish topcoat of green would discolor after running the motor for a few hours. After doing research and investigation, I narrowed it down to the primer not being able to handle the heat. So now I just use high heat paint right on the bare metal and then spray my topcoat over top.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next, I started working on the frame. The owner started painting it but he never filled in the rust pits. I HATE SEEING RUST PITS!!! Anyway, I started stripping the paint.

After getting the frame stripped, I started applying the primer. I don't use Bondo or body putty to fill holes, but instead build up numerous layers of paint until the holes are completely filled.

Prime a coat, sand, prime a coat, sand, and on and on. It took about a week and half of doing these steps but I finally got it to where I was happy. If memory serves me correctly, I think I ended up using almost 6 cans of primer until it was all done.

With the priming done and all wet sanded with 600 grit paper, it was time to start applying topcoat. As always, I always do the underside first.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I continued spraying the topcoat, with wet sanding between each coat. Wet sanding started with 600 grit, then 800 grit, then 1000, and finally with 1500. All said and done, I ended up applying roughly 8 coats of paint. These are my step-by-step pictures after each wet sanding.

After 600 grit:

After 800 grit:

After 1000 grit:

A 1500 grit:

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next step was applying the clear coat. I laid down 5 coats, let cure for three days, then wet sanded with 2000 grit paper.

Next onto polishing and waxing.

I wish I would have applied an additional 5-6 more coats of clear coat. The finish just doesn't have the depth that I was hoping for.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next I moved on to the starter generator. Has never been taken apart as far as I can see, so rebuilding it is a must.

Still need to sand and paint yet, but since I'm waiting for the new brushes to arrive, I still have time.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine drive sheave and generator bracket were next for getting stripped and primed.

Again, still need to sand and topcoat but at least they're ready to go for now.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My next thought was to start on the transmission. After stripping the owners paint, I quickly discovered that he never stripped away the original paint. Nice!!! 馃え

So after I got down to stripping the original paint, I found that the input shaft seal and one axle seal are leaking. So, the tranny is now on hold until I receive my rebuild kit in the mail. I'll end up splitting the tranny, replace all of the seals, and do a thorough examination of all the gears.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I worked on stripping both fenders and the dash tower pedestal. As you can see, the owner never sanded down or wire wheeled the rust before painting.

Since all 3 of these pieces have some deep rust pitting, I will be applying numerous coats of primer again before laying down any finish topcoat.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night I wet sanded these three parts with 180 grit paper. I applied two heavy coats of primer a couple days before, trying to fill deep rust pits on the underside of each fender and along the bottom edges of the pedestal. After sanding, I still needed a little more build up, so I applied another two coats before calling it quits and heading for relaxation.

Tonight I wet sanded with 600 grit and got everything leveled out and smoothed. There are still a couple of small little spots yet that need filled, so one more additional coat should do.

Now hopefully the pollen will die down until the weekend gets here so I can start applying topcoat. If all fails, I know someone who has a spray booth that I can use. 馃榿

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since it was nice out and already 70 degrees by 9:00 am, I started my day with painting parts.

I sure do miss the wash line. I guess I need to build myself a portable rack system so I have something better to hang my parts on.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hydraulic Lift cylinder bracket.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts