• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

Backhoe use on a sub compact?

Discussion in 'JD Compact Utitlity Tractor Forum' started by olddude, Oct 24, 2014.

1. olddude

olddude New Member

Was wondering if anyone has a backhoe attachment on their John Deere sub compact tractor? I was thinking about getting a used tractor with a backhoe attachment to do things around the house. One thing I would like to use it for would be to dig out our retaining wall. I would imagine it would be capable of doing so? The area is about 4' tall and we would like to extend it out about six more feet.

2 people like this.
  2. johndeereelfman

johndeereelfman Member Staff Member

First off, Welcome aboard olddude! Glad to have you with us, and let me be the first to say Thank You for joining!

As for the backhoe attachment, I wish my Dad had one for his 2305. I have a lot of landscaping around here that a backhoe would really come in handy. He has the front bucket for it, but there are times when you wish you could get deeper with a smaller path. The local hardware store has the same tractor as Dad's with the hoe attachment, so I guess when the time comes to get started, I'll be looking to rent it. Takes some practice to operate one, so keep that in mind if possibly working around overhead or underground lines. Some guys have enough experience to know when they snagged an underground line, and I'm sure with enough practice you could get the feel for it as well.

Sorry I couldn't help you out better, but hopefully someone else will be along that will have more experience than I do.  

1 person likes this.

3. Texas Deere & Horse

Texas Deere & Horse Moderator Staff Member

I say if you can buy one for the right money, they will do the job. A freind of mine used to dig graves with a D-200 Wheel Horse that had the Back Hoe attachment on it and loader. He said it did a great job.

2 people like this.
  4. ckjakline

ckjakline Well-Known Member

They do a great fob for what they are.I think John Deere had one for the 400 series and bigger tractors.I'm sure if your not digging out massive tree stumps it'll do fine.

2 people like this.
  5. olddude

olddude New Member

Thanks for the responses. I haven't decided yet which route we are going to go. I could just rent a backhoe for a week, but then I would much rather have something to always have. I am sure a compact tractor with a backhoe and loader would come in handy numerous times throughout the year.

3 people like this.