JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey JD lovers. I just picked up a flat fender 110 this week at an estate sale. (Type:0643 S/N:251946...1972...year I graduated high school) The guy said it was running within the last year. But, I can't get it to fire up. I'm not a small engine expert, but I do rebuild small engine carbs all the time and am dangerous trouble shooting electrical stuff...and I don't think this is rocket science. If I have fuel and spark it should at least fire up, right? I have both. I'm sure I'll need to go thru the fuel system, rebuild the carb and put a tune up kit on it, but I wanted to at least get it to fire up before I did all that. I pulled off the air breather and gave it a very little shot of ether and it did not fire up...even though I know I have spark. Any suggestions? An interlock issue somewhere would kill the spark, right? (I've been running my LX176 that my sister bought new in 1992 for over 15 years. And babying that high dollar plastic hood.) Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Could possibly be the starters not turning it over fast enough. I've had that on some 200 series tractors.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Check your points gap.
Is it the old or new spark plug. If the plug is week or the wrong one could also be causing your issue.
Id also clean the wire connections on the points, coil this is also an area that can cause great frustration. One more is the plug on back of the ignition switch make sure that is in all the way .
Welcome to the sight.
Good luck and we love pics.
The rule is .....
It does not exist without picture proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your points gap.
Is it the old or new spark plug. If the plug is week or the wrong one could also be causing your issue.
Id also clean the wire connections on the points, coil this is also an area that can cause great frustration. One more is the plug on back of the ignition switch make sure that is in all the way .
Welcome to the sight.
Good luck and we love pics.
The rule is .....
It does not exist without picture proof.
Yep, old plug. And I'll check all these other items. Was hoping to at least get her running before I did all that. Just wanted to hear it run...if nothing but sputtering. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would start by going over the carb.I had one that i had good spark and fuel to carb. wouldn't start. spray ether in carb wouldn't fire. On top of carb i pulled the needle that runs whole way through carb and cleaned it up. put back together and it fired right up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would start by going over the carb.I had one that i had good spark and fuel to carb. wouldn't start. spray ether in carb wouldn't fire. On top of carb i pulled the needle that runs whole way through carb and cleaned it up. put back together and it fired right up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This makes sense. My guess is the guy left ethanol fuel in it over the winter and everything is nasty in the carb. I'll tear it down before I start tearing everything else apart. Was intending on going thru carb anyway. BTW, I threw a new spark plug in it with no results. I'll let you guys know what I find. THANKS FOR THE INPUT TO ALL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts