JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20200417_131338.jpg
20200417_131402.jpg
20200417_131420.jpg
20200417_131432.jpg

Spent a day polishing and waxing up the '70 120 now that it's down off of the shelf. Reinstalled the hubcaps and mounted the 542 pto unit. Not showroom quality but good enough and ready for some local shows if they don't all get canceled this year.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent some time the past few nights working on getting the rear rims stripped and primed, so today it was time to paint.

Now I'm ready to get new tubes and then to get the tires remounted.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I ended up throwing it away. Half way through the can the spray nozzle clogged up. After getting it cleaned out, it sprayed a few strokes then quit.

I went back to the Tallman brand. It'll be the correct shade after I wet sand them.

Registered

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least two days of dry time. Spray paint, even though can be touched and handled in an hour, still needs a couple of months to fully cure. You can speed up the cure time process a bit by washing your parts with warm water after a day of dry time.

After the two days, I'll mount the tires, tape off the tires, then start working on the finish coats of the rim faces.

Since speaking of paint cure, after I'm done with my top coat of finish color, I'll wait a full week before I start applying clear coats.

Registered
At least two days of dry time. Spray paint, even though can be touched and handled in an hour, still needs a couple of months to fully cure. You can speed up the cure time process a bit by washing your parts with warm water after a day of dry time.

After the two days, I'll mount the tires, tape off the tires, then start working on the finish coats of the rim faces.

Since speaking of paint cure, after I'm done with my top coat of finish color, I'll wait a full week before I start applying clear coats.
Thanks very much I definitely appreciate the good advice and will follow your recommendations.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided to wet sand the faces of both rims before mounting the tires. Planning on buying inner tubes Saturday morning if all goes well.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looked obvious in my photo gallery, however after posting these side-by-side pictures, it doesn't show the different shades. Anyway, I was trying to show how this Tallman paint looks pale out of the can but once it's wet sanded it matches John Deere yellow exactly.

Top picture is after wet sanding while the bottom picture is right out of the can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts