JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '74 I've been working on, my bezel/panel at some point broke into two pieces. The previous owner patched it together from the back side with a piece of metal and drilled two holes through the panel and used two button head screws to attach it back together. It drives me crazy to see the two button head screws on one side. What are my options with this, replace, any sort of way to repair? I've tried searching and believe most replace them. I would love to add the headlight panel, but they're pricey.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Epoxy and patience . If it's a clean brake I've been able to do smaller repairs like this. I've never done the entire piece that's broken in half. The epoxy lends itself well to sanding and grinding after its set. Eastwood Company does make a kit like Greg was talking about for fixing plastic parts. Good luck to you and post pics.if your successful. 

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bid on a spare on ebay that is pretty complete that isn't broken and a blank panel. Hopefully I get it. If I do, I will experiment with the one I have and maybe add my own set of headlights my way.... I will update all with what I do. I appreciate the responses as usual guys.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think with a little care and time it could be repaired but I worry that in the corner like that it may put a little more pressure on it with the vibrations and such. Epoxy may be the best and maybe use a little fiber cloth as a binder on the back and after its glued remove the existing metal that's holding it together. The holes in the front could be done after its held back together and would not be hard to blend back in to the panel if you would not use an excessive amount of glue/epoxy on the hole repair. 

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are people that do plastic welding now. I don't know of anybody that has had this done yet but i see advertisements for it. It would be nice to find someone that has had it done already to see if they are pleased with the results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are people that do plastic welding now. I don't know of anybody that has had this done yet but i see advertisements for it. It would be nice to find someone that has had it done already to see if they are pleased with the results.
I was advised on another forum to try plastic welding. I may go that route. 

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a guy on wfmachines that makes a steel replacement panel with headlights for 90 bucks. Since I am not going 100 original restore, I might order one and slap it on there since I would want to take my original one off to repair anyhow. I'll let yall know if I order one. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts