JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about at my wit's end with my 47" snowblower on my X540 constantly shearing both left and right auger shear pins. I am not hitting anything that would justify them shearing, but I am lucky if I can make it through a single use without shearing one or both pins. I'm now wondering whether inertia is causing this issue, from having to stop and restart the PTO every time I back up. I've had this issue since I bought this blower new in 2013. Anyone?

Matt M.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
There is a young gentleman who has a lot of experience with JD units service.
He would know the week link .He is Kyle 2. Wondering if its the right pins from the factory and they are just to week . It would suck as you say to have to change these this much.
Wondering if it is lined up correctly/straight ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I hope Kyle reads my post. I have used both the factory pins, and aftermarket, but the factory ones don’t last any longer than the aftermarket ones do. Yes, alignment is good. All I have to do is drive the broken pin out, and insert the new one through the shaft.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello Matt. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the snowblower. According to the parts diagram the auger should have shear bolts and not pins. I believe it it showed M6x45 part # 19M8321 and a M6 lock nut part # 14M7397.
Also you said that you shut the blower off everytime you back up. You can over ride that by holding up on the pto switch and then pushing on the reverse pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. I do know about the RIO, but it is terribly inconvenient. I end up missing it or just saying heck with it, so it turns off anyway. I think I'm going to try bypassing it. Wearing heavy gloves, and my soft cab make it difficult to operate the paddle. I’m not real crazy about some of the features on this machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meant to also comment on the shear bolts. Yes, those part numbers match the ones that I am currently using (6X45 bolt and Nylok nut). We lost both of our local JD dealers in my area a few years ago, so I ordered several online. Everything lines up well, but the holes in the auger tube are slightly oblongated now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! Knowing the hardness grade will help next time at the hardware store. I doubt I’ll order the actual JD parts again.
Did you ever figure out any solution to this sheer bolt problem? I have had the exact same problem with my 47 inch snowblower for the last five years. It is extremely frustrating breaking these bolts when you feel like you are trying to baby the unit. I could understand breaking these bolts if I was really trying to force my way through heavy snow and not being careful. That is not the case as you have said it doesn’t matter how careful you might be. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts