JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks!
Long time, no post. Long story short: 1992 316 bought used 5 years ago (730 hrs) has had no issues for both summer and winter use (mower for summer, 49 blower for winter). Over this last fall, (1000hrs) the ignition switch started acting up (Had to turn the key to the start position and wiggle it back and forth in half degree increments to find the sweet spot and it would engage the starter). This continued until the sweet spot could no longer be found. A few weeks ago I replaced the ignition switch with
Oregon 33-398 Ignition Switch and all was perfectly fine until today when it wouldn't engage the starter AT ALL. All the dash lights came up and responded as they should but no starter. (I had already tested the solenoid and all was well with it before changing the ignition switch). Battery was at 92% after sitting in the cold for 2 weeks since last run. Finally, it decided to work after about an hour of me spitting and sputtering and swearing at it and started right up. As an ignition switch test, I then shut it off and started it right back up again over and over about 15 times. Suddenly no issue.. Then I tried to engage the PTO (snowthrower attached) and absolutely nothing happened. No PTO light. No stalling or bogging. ... No sound of the blower... Shut it off and no clicking of the clutch. Now it's acting like PTO switch... Banging my head on the wall. It's never given me any issues or abnormalities 'till now and they all come at once. Tempted to toggle switch the clutch, and bypass all the safety switches... Are those NC or NO on this machine? ( Just to save me having to DVOM those lol).. Other thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should also add the that the PTO/Clutch switch had worked flawlessly up to and including after the replacement of the ignition switch, until today. Also, I've never had to mess around with the seat, brake, or neutral safety switches this whole time, so I assume they're still functioning as normal.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Why not use an original JD switch? If u take power to the pto does it engage?
Is the wire connector pushed all the way on on the ignition switch and no wires pushed out? I’d work it back words. Check make sure pto engages if u take power to it . Then look at wiring diagram which can be found on line usually. Is the pto switch engaged or disengaged they can be funny if out of adjustment. Was something bumped when installing new switch. Electrical issues can be frustrating but taking time to go thru it slowly I’m sure you’ll find it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts