JD Fanatic Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum.

I bought a 316 with an Onan 'P' engine to replace a 316 with Onan 'B" (no oil filter) that lost compression.

I can't get the drain plug out of the transmission case. I'm hesitant to use heat on the plug / case. I have a ceiling mounted hoist in the garage & am thinking I might be able to get most of the fluid out of the case by hoisting the rear of the tractor to about 60 degrees angle; draining out of the filter mount.

I'm also changing from Type ‘F’ to JD Hy-Guard fluid. I'm thinking of putting in 1/2 of a 32 oz. bottle as a flush before filling with Hy-Guard. I don't want to start the tractor / hydrodrive with this little amount of fluid in it; so I'm not sure how much value doing the flush will be.

Comments? Advice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum.

I can't get the drain plug out of the transmission case. I'm hesitant to use heat on the plug / case. I have a ceiling mounted hoist in the garage & am thinking I might be able to get most of the fluid out of the case by hoisting the rear of the tractor to about 60 degrees angle; draining out of the filter mount.

I'm also changing from Type ‘F’ to JD Hy-Guard fluid. I'm thinking of putting in 1/2 of a 32 oz. bottle as a flush before filling with Hy-Guard. I don't want to start the tractor / hydrodrive with this little amount of fluid in it; so I'm not sure how much value doing the flush will be.

Comments? Advice?
There is a hose that runs from front of differential up to charge pump. You can take that off and drain the differential.

It might get a small amount (doubt its worth it) but there is a lot more in the hoses and hydraulic lines. Some people will do a double change with operation of tractor in between. You will need to also operate the hydraulics also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Modeere318

That's what I did yesterday afternoon - removing the hose. Tilted the tractor forward & back. Used 1/3 litre - 3 times to flush out what was left in the bottom, before refilling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts