• Welcome to JD Fanatics Forum

2305 u joint

Discussion in 'The Toolbox' started by Dandyd, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dandyd

Dandyd New Member

Hi all. I am new to the forum actually this is my first forum. Not even sure anyone will get this . Lol but I wanted to share some information. I am the proud owner of a 2305. I have owned the tractor a little over 10 years now. Have had 0 problems . Until now . While servicing my transmission. I noticed my main drive shaft was loose at the rear u joint. Me being kind of a back yard mechanic I knew it was a bad u joint. I began making some phone calls in search of a u joint. I called my local JD dealer. The service dept said I couldnt buy just a u joint JD doesnt sell just a joint . I would have to purchase a new driveshaft at the low cost of $585.00. Oooh K. So I call another dealer about 30 minutes from my home. This guy said he could fix my problem in a couple days at a price between $800 and $1200.00. I said... for a u joint??!! The man replied . The whole top end of the tractor .. fenders , roll bar, seat, floor board dash etc will have to be removed to get to the u joint.
    Oooh K again. Thank you sir.. click. .. So I had already looked at the drive shaft and thought it looked alot like the same way all u joints in driveshafts are made. So I got under there and took the u joint out myself in about 30 minutes. I will go tomorrow and buy a new one and put it in. I just wanted to share this information with any other 2305 owners and also add that this u joint has a grease fitting. I do my own service to the tractor and my bad not greasing the joint. When I bought the tractor I read the owners manual for all grease points. This grease fitting is not in the manual . So heads up. If you didnt know that. You better get the grease gun under there. My tractor is at 700 hours and that was all the hours a fitting with no service could stand. I hope this information will help someone before it goes out or helps when it does either save someone heartache or a bill for $1200.00 for 1 hours work.

Chaser and Kster526 like this.
  2. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    WELL DONE.
    WELCOME TO THE SITE

Chaser likes this.

3. jparkerri

jparkerri New Member

4. jparkerri

jparkerri New Member

I have a 17 year old 2320 and had the same problem. I took it in to the dealer because of a bad noise. They did some maintenance and changed the fan belt. They said the old fan belt was causing the noise. When I picked it up, I still heard the noise and made them come out and listen. Then, they found the bad rear U-joint and asked my when I last greased it. I said never because nothing in the manual told me to. I got the same thing about how long it would take and cost, and I'd have to wait two weeks. It turns out there was a John Deere internal bulletin around 10 years ago about failing u-joints because people didn't know to grease them.
    I removed the driveshaft in about an hour and replaced both U-joints from NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, and O'Reilly. Very disappointed in my dealer.

Kster526 likes this.
  5. jparkerri

jparkerri New Member

Sorry, I meant a 13 year old (bought new in 2007) JD 2320.

Kster526 likes this.
  6. Kster526

Kster526 Well-Known Member

Oley, Pa
    Nice work , probably saved you some cash too