JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and hoping I can get some help here. I got a newer john Deere 212 tractor with plow, chains, wheel weights and mower deck for FREE. I'm restoring it as a spare for my other work horse lawn tractor up at a remote piece of property. When I picked It up it had water in the fuel tank and a dead battery besides the fact that that it was just roting away in someone's backyard.

So far I've done the following:
-Flushed fuel tank
-New battery
-New Fuel Gauge / Cap
-Replaced fuel line
-Added inline fuel filter
-Rebuilt carb
-Cleaned fuel pump
-Replaced starter solenoid
-Sanded and Painted body and panels
-Lubed all joints and got Brake pedal moving again.
-Cleaned and gapped spark plug
-Points, coil and condenser all tested good.
-Replaced all motor mounts

Not too crazy for a free tractor and I had most of the spare parts already from another 212 that got scrapped years ago.

Now the issue I'm running into with this 212 is the parking brake.

This 212 is serial number 157,851 so it's the generation where the parking brake actually locks the clutch all the way down so you can't accidentally drive off with the parking brake engaged.

So now the fun part, when I got this tractor the brake band was completely rusted off and missing from the mounts, I had everything above the band and was able to get a band from Oregon that is sized correctly for the drum and it's actually made for a go-cart. (I don't suspect this is an issue as the brake is functioning correctly)
My issue is when I drop the rod for the parking brake and step on the clutch, the clutch pedal will not move far enough for the parking brake latch to grab the clutch pedal. I already adjusted the linkage in-between the brake assembly and the clutch pedal. It made no difference. It actually seems as though the clutch pedal may not have enough travel? Is it possible someone put on the wrong belts that go from the engine to the tranaaxle? If they were too short should that make the clutch pedal not travel as far? I don't know the full history of this tractor.

This wouldn't be such a big deal for me except I will often have to stop on hills with this so a parking brake would be nice to use.

Any insight into this would be great.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Sounds like you are narrowing in on the issue, does the variator work correctly and slide back and fourth? If the ole girl sat long new belts may be a good idea as they may be dry rotted /stiff not allowing full movement. Sounds like something simple. Put it on jack stands have someone push in the pedals and watch what happens it may help seeing it from underneath . I've had a few that needed a cue tip and lube on the variator as it would not slide back and fourth freely and even sprayed it with creepy oil and left it sit overnight which really helped.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i agree with kyle. it almost sounds like the variator needs adjusted to get the clutch to travel more. i had the same issue on a 210 that i picked up that sounds like it was is same condition as yours. It took me 3 adjustments to get it to the sweet spot were it works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I went ahead a soaked the variator assembly with some penetrating fluid and then gave it a good lubrication. Seems like that fixed my problem. It never occurred to me that the variator moved in that fashion behind the scenes.

Also I've never adjusted a variator, I know it can be a headache. I'm thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it. Seems to be functioning correctly, any reason to try an adjustment? What's the process you guys have used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
If you read the manual you put the variator in the 5th spot I think it is ,take the spark plug wire off, loosen up the bolts for the adjuster on the side.
Crank engine over and you should see the clutch petal move . I’ll do this twice then lock down the adjuster bolts on the side and put the spark plug wire on. I start it then I’ll drive it around the yard checking to see how it worked out. Every now and then it may take a couple times to get it exactly right. If you get nothing then it’s time for new drive belts.
I hope I did not forget anything .Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts