JD Fanatic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 John Deere X720. Drove the tractor to the back yard, turned it off and then attempted to restart a couple minutes later and it is completely dead. Checked the battery, connections, grounds, fuses, safety switches and all is good. I can jump the starter solenoid and it will turn over. Pulled the ignition switch to check continuity and found that I have 12VDC on the red wire of the plug until I plug it back onto the ignition switch when it drops to zero. Checking continuity, I have it from the red wire to the yellow (Y2) in "on" position. I never have continuity to the other yellow wire (Y1) in any switch position. I'm going to replace the switch tomorrow hoping that will solve the problem but I find it curious it just happened with no warning. I'm also trying to find a site where I can download a service manual for this tractor but I have not had any success. Thanks for any advice or commentary!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
JUST HAD A SIMILAR ISSUE ON MY 235 . REPLACED MY BATTERY SAME ISSUE THEN FOUND THE RED WIRE FEEDING THE IGNITION SWITCH WAS BUILT UP WITH ACID CORROSION FROM THE BATTERY AT THE QUCIK CONNECTOR AND COULD NOT PULL IT APART . HAD TO CUT OUT THE QUICK DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT WITH A NEW CONNECTOR .PROBLEM SOLVED,
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MAY HAVE GOING . COULD BE A SAFETY CIRCUIT NOT ALLOWING IT TO START, MAYBE SEAT SWITCH ,CLUTCH SWITCH,ETC.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
FOUND IT! Going through the wiring checking where voltage was dropping I found the issue at the fuse block. The fuses are all good but evidently there is a loose connection, solder joint, whatever behind the block. When I checked the main fuse without pulling the fuse itself, I pushed the fuse with my meter probe and my dash lit up, pump cycled etc. Now I just have to put everything back together. See the attached pic. That is what the back of the fuse block looked like AFTER I blew it out. Gonna replace the box entirely with a sealed unit. I religiously clean/wash my tractor after use but this was an oversight. John Deere could have done a better job here however.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts